the nose of a rhinovirus?

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:35 am
I think that the "were next given a squirt up the nose of a rhinovirus" means "were next given a squirt up the nose that contains rhinovirus."

The grammatical structure gives us the impression that a rhinovirus has its nose? But oh no, it has not. It is the nose of a person. But what is the grammar?

Context:

New study shows happiness fights the common cold

Don't worry, be happy and, according to new research, you will also be healthy.

It is estimated that over the course of one year, Americans suffer 1 billion colds. But new research shows that all it may take to avoid this common affliction is a positive and upbeat attitude.

People who are energetic, happy and relaxed are less likely to catch a cold than those who are depressed, nervous or angry, finds a new study published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine.

Healthy volunteers first underwent an emotional assessment in which they were asked to rate their tendency to experience positive and negative emotions - how often they felt pleased, relaxed, happy, or anxious, depressed and hostile. The subjects were next given a squirt up the nose of a rhinovirus, the nasty little germ that causes colds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 768 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:44 am
The people were given a squirt up the nose of a substance which contained a rhinovirus. "Rhido-" is a combining form which means nose, i.e., a rhinovirus is a nose virus.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:17 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The people were given a squirt up the nose of a substance which contained a rhinovirus. "Rhido-" is a combining form which means nose, i.e., a rhinovirus is a nose virus.

The people were given a squirt of a substance which contained a rhinovirus. And the squirt was give to the area above the people's nose?

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:26 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
And the squirt was give to the area above the people's nose?

"up" the nose means into the nostrils, Ori. To describe what you've written above,

A squirt was given up above the nose.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
And the squirt was give to the area above the people's nose?

"up" the nose means into the nostrils, Ori. To describe what you've written above,

A squirt was given up above the nose.

Thanks.

The form of "the nose of a rhinovirus" can be misread.
Because "up the nose" is an adverbial phrase, "a squirt of a rhinovirus" is the true meaning there. Am I on the right track?
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:29 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Because "up the nose" is an adverbial phrase, "a squirt of a rhinovirus" is the true meaning there. Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are. Changing 'of a rhinovirus' to after 'squirt' causes some other problems. I think the problem can best be solved by changing 'of' to 'with', as in 1).

Original: The subjects were next given a squirt up the nose of a rhinovirus, the nasty little germ that causes colds.

1) The subjects were next given a squirt up the nose with a rhinovirus, the nasty little germ that causes colds.

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:07 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Yes, you are. Changing 'of a rhinovirus' to after 'squirt' causes some other problems. I think the problem can best be solved by changing 'of' to 'with', as in 1).

Original: The subjects were next given a squirt up the nose of a rhinovirus, the nasty little germ that causes colds.

1) The subjects were next given a squirt up the nose with a rhinovirus, the nasty little germ that causes colds.

Well changed!

No misleading then.

0 Replies