Crikey! Steve Irwin's baby in a croc shock

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:22 pm
I get so pissed at celebrities who exploit their children to further their careers, placing those children in danger. --- BBB

Crikey! Steve Irwin's baby in a croc shock
Christine Caulfield
03jan04

STEVE Irwin sparked outrage yesterday when he held his baby son a metre from the mouth of a crocodile at his Queensland zoo.

Child advocates branded the Crocodile Hunter reckless for holding one-month-old Bob while feeding the giant crocodile a dead chicken.
Wife Terri looked on as Irwin then "walked" Bob to the crocodile pool at his Sunshine Coast wildlife park as the four-metre reptile, named Murray, lurked nearby.

Irwin defended the stunt, saying the baby was never in danger.

"This kid has to grow up to be croc savvy," he told the Herald Sun.

"I guess what I am doing is teaching him to be completely familiar with crocodiles . . . There's no way known I would ever endanger my child."

But Irwin - recently named Queenslander of the year - now faces possible investigation by Queensland police, the Department of Families, and workplace safety officers.

The stunt was slammed by child support groups and likened to the furore caused by pop star Michael Jackson when he dangled his newborn baby over a balcony at a hotel in Germany in 2002.

Childhood Foundation chief Joe Tucci described Irwin's actions as outrageous.

"It's neglect, it's reckless, it's a form of endangerment," he said.

"I don't think we should use children as props, and definitely not in situations that are going to put them in such danger."

Mr Tucci said Irwin could faces criminal charges if he continued to put his baby in harm's way.

"He wasn't thinking about the risks to his child. Children need adults to protect them. They should not be involved in any kind of entertainment that puts them at risk," he said.

"Kids under five are unpredictable. It's only one small slip away from a bad accident. He can make his own choices, but his child can't."

Australian Family Association spokesman Bill Muehlenberg said Irwin's conduct was tantamount to child abuse.

Mr Muehlenberg said Irwin had no right to put his baby in peril.

"Most parents would cringe at the sight of such things. One slip, one fall and he is the crocodile's lunch," he said.

Yesterday's show, for the public and the media, was billed as Bob's "croc-feeding debut".

"Good boy, Bob," Irwin said as Murray's jaws snapped shut on the food.

"He's one month old, so it's about time Bob got out there and did his first croc demo," Irwin told the excited crowd.

Irwin later told the Herald Sun: "If I had known it was going to cause a ruckus I would have thrown them (the media) out by their ears.

"I was in complete control of the crocodile. Robert was tucked right in my arm. It is far more dangerous to pack your kid up and go out on the road."

Irwin's wife Terri backed Bob's place in the show.

"When I put him back in the pram he had big eyes and he was smiling and it was a wonderful sensory experience for him. He dug it," she said.

Queensland Families Minister Judy Spence said she would request the unedited video tapes of the incident.

"I have seen the television footage and while I have no doubt the Irwins love their children very much, I believe it was an error of judgment to place a baby in a potentially dangerous situation," Ms Spence said.

"The department is interested in examining all of the information including a copy of the unedited video and the safety precautions and protocols Mr Irwin was following."

Queensland Police confirmed last night they had received complaints from the public about the incident.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,034 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 09:30 pm
Does the name Michael Jackson come to mind?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 09:32 pm
farmerman
exactly, but not the first to do so.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:29 am
Crocs are wild, dangerous animals. Even if a person has worked with them, it is highly inappropriate to put a helpless baby in harm's way, even if the danger, as he said, was minimal.

Did he forget what happened to that guy from Siegfried and Roy?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:05 am
What astounds me, outside of the actual act and then he and his wife trying to defend his actions is, did he not see what happened to Michael Jackson? How could he possibly think that the public and the authorities would be okay with it? That is just so incredibly stupid. I saw the footage only this morning and I'm still in shock. I just hope he catches the same hell that Jackson did and so far, it looks like he is.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:17 am
Maybe that's why they call it down under.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 12:41 pm
sometimes celebrities allow the celebretiness go to their skulls and they believe that whatever they do will be approved .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:10 pm
Well, he's certainly copped a huge amount of flack here.

It's interesting, because he's not at all well known in Oz - his programme is packaged for American consuption, I guess!

Guess he's just an idiot!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:14 pm
That was about dumbest thing a seemingly decent man could do. Brings to mind a gobbled up infant, a few years ago; who's parents wanted to take a picture with a wild bear at a nature reserve. Horrendous lapse of judgment, but I don't know if I'd say criminal. I once saw a "Ski, Sky, Stage show" of the "Nerveless Knox?" family at Tommy Bartlet's in Wisconsin Dells. While the adults did death defying stunts on sky high poles, their pre-teen son stacked over a dozen chair and performed handstands and such on the stage. I wonder if performing families are still using such youngsters in today's social climate.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:53 pm
what really shocked/surprised me were all the people in the audience who (from what i could see on tv) were applauding . did my eyes deceive me or is this a new kind of entertainment ? i think we should bring the gladiators back. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:57 pm
Australian state premier says no charges will be filed against 'Crocodile Hunter'
1/3/2004 12:49 PM
By: Associated Press

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- The acting premier of Queensland state in Australia says no charges will be filed against "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin.

Child welfare groups and TV viewers are accusing him of endangering his son when he held the infant in one arm and fed a crocodile with another.

The premier says the department of children's services has talked with Irwin's family about the incident.

He says the Irwin family assured the children's services department that it won't happen again. And if it does, the department will be back in touch with them.

Irwin says if he could, he would probably do things "a little differently."

On the other hand, he says he'd be a bad parent if he didn't teach his children to be "crocodile savvy" because they live in crocodile territory. .......................................... perhaps this is "croc education 101" for pre-kindergarten kids ! ??? hbg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:04 pm
Irwin and that other fool from Oz who appears on US TV (the guy who irritates snakes and bigger critters for our amusement) will only entertain me if one of those animals attacks them--and does some damage. That I'd like to watch.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:34 pm
hi, D' : were would you like him to be DAMAGED ? any pref ? hbg
0 Replies