Stories ? Should it be storeys?

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 08:45 pm

Context:
Stories of trees being splintered like baseball bats and families huddled in their homes that were ripped from their foundation are beginning to emerge after over 240 tornados ripped through a large portion of the country on Saturday.

Jonathan Robinson saw a tornado moving toward his mobile home in Dunn, N.C., and grabbed his cousin’s 3-month-old son and dashed for a closet in his bedroom. But as he dove for safety, the twister took his home apart around him and swept the baby into the dark, swirling afternoon sky.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 27,538 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 08:51 pm
@oristarA,
I've only used the word storey's to mean floors of a building. My house is two storey's high. The tallest building has 160 storey's.
versus..
I tell my kid's several stories before bedtime.
dadpad

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 08:52 pm
@oristarA,
stories is correct.

stories = tales

storeys= the levels of a building. eg the building was 15 storeys high
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 09:16 pm
@Ceili,
Storeys is a British/Canadian spelling.
Quote:
sto·rey   
[stawr-ee, stohr-ee]
–noun, plural -reys. Chiefly British .
story2 .
oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
Got it.
Thank you.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:14 am
@tsarstepan,
In Canada, our spelling is kinda flexible. Sometime we use either the British spelling, with all the extra vowels, and sometimes we use American English. And in many cases it's not uncommon to see either spelling used and this word is a case in point. In an article or an advertisement written in Canada, you might see, as an example, 'the 2 storey building' and/or the 'high-rise with 100 stories' and it wouldn't be that odd.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:19 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

In Canada, our spelling is kinda flexible. Sometime we use either the British spelling, with all the extra vowels, and sometimes we use American English. And in many cases it's not uncommon to see either spelling used and this word is a case in point. In an article or an advertisement written in Canada, you might see, as an example, 'the 2 storey building' and/or the 'high-rise with 100 stories' and it wouldn't be that odd.

So? Do Canadians speak an English language that mix up British English pronunciation and American English pronunciation?
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
So? Do Canadians speak an English language that mixes up British English pronunciation and American English pronunciation?

There's more than one BrE pronunciation and also more than one AmE pronunciation, Ori. And the same goes for Canada. But they're not made up of BrE ones and AmE ones.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:53 am
@oristarA,
Ori, there are many accents across North America.
There are probably people that could explain this way better than me, but I'll tell you my observations. Most of the accents in Canada and the US are very slight. Certain words, or vowels may be lengthened in a drawl, or the endings of words could be dropped, or raised. Cities like New York, Boston or Texas definitely have their own sound, and the southern States accent are different than the northern states and Canada.
In Canada, we have two official languages, some people only speak french or have a very definitive regional french accent. There are also many people who speak indigineous languages and immigrants that have accents as well. In the Maritimes there are several accents, very similar to areas of the British Isles. In fact, there are communities where people still speak Gaelic.
Ontario has some noticeable pronunciations that are frequently used as a joke or as a stereotype. Western Canada has the least accented english, or blandest sound. We can slip into most situations in a stealth like manner.

oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:53 pm
@Ceili,
Well. I will thus care not so much whether I've mixed up BrE and AmE pronunciations inadvertently.

Thank you.
Ceili

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:53 am
@oristarA,
Ori, you will have your own accent regardless of what accent you try to mimic. People will know that you are a not a local no matter where you go, don't worry about it. I can pick out a kid who grew up in Alberta's rural country while someone from Ontario or Seattle couldn't hear the difference. Someone from Newfoundland could find 20 variations of the same sentence within a 100 mile range, and to me they might all sound the same. We are all from somewhere else, there is no proper pronunciation, really.
I have friends from Hungary that cant pronounce the W or Wh sounds, water = vater, and others from Italy or India that can't pronounce the TH sound, that = dat . My friends dad is from Denmark, he calls the Vikings, Wikings. Most of the Chinese born speakers have trouble with L's and R's. My Mother's from N. Ireland, she pronounces words like
Cat - Cyat, I would say Caht.
Make - Meyke, mayke
My Dad calls Pizza, peetzer, he's english.
The difference is subtle. regional.. and none of them are wrong.

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:29 pm
@Ceili,
Grand description of language, Ceili. Well done!!

The same goes for different grammatical uses. Other than when we misspeak, which happens to everyone, there's really no right or wrong in the grammatical structures we use. There is Standard and Nonstandard but that doesn't equate to correct and incorrect.

Being ungrammatical for native speakers is exceedingly difficult. Try it, in speaking, try to be really ungrammatical. You'll feel a great resistance from you internal parser.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:30 pm
@oristarA,
You hear a lot of Scottish and Irish accents in Ontario. Wink Mr. Green
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:11 pm
Very cool.

That can be equated to a liberation of soul. Very Happy

Thank you.
0 Replies