So do you eat dandelion leaves?

Buffalo

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:10 pm
I don't... but according to this article I found at http://kitchengardeners.org/blogs/harriet-fasenfest/eat-weed-love-affair-dandelions , we should.

It states...
Hurrah, it's dandelion season. With so much good in a plant I heartily encourage you to do some foraging. Here is just a short list of it's goodness gleaned from lots of sources over the years.

The leaves are more nutritious than anything you can buy. They're higher in beta-carotene than carrots. The iron and calcium content is phenomenal, greater than spinach. You also get vitamins B-1, B-2, B-5, B-6, B-12, C, E, P, and D, biotin, inositol, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc by using a tasty, free vegetable that grows on virtually every lawn. The root contains the sugar insulin, plus many medicinal substances.

Dandelion root is one of the safest and most popular herbal remedies. The specific name, officinale, means that It's used medicinally. The decoction is a traditional tonic. It ís supposed to strengthen the entire body, especially the liver and gallbladder, where it promotes the flow of bile, reduces inflammation of the bile duct, and helps get rid of gall stones. This is due to its taraxacin. It ís good for chronic hepatitis, it reduces liver swelling and jaundice, and it helps indigestion caused by insufficient bile. Don't use it with irritable stomach or bowel, or if you have an acute inflammation.

The modern French name for this plant is pissenlit (lit means bed) because the root and leaf tea act on the kidneys as a gentle diuretic, improving the way they cleanse the blood and recycle nutrients. Unlike pharmaceuticals diuretics, this doesn't leach potassium, a vital mineral, from the body. Improved general health and clear skin result from improved kidney function. One man I spoke to even claims he avoided surgery for urinary stones by using dandelion root tea alone.

Dandelions are also good for the bladder, spleen, pancreas, stomach and intestines. It ís recommended for stressed-out, internally sluggish, and sedentary people. Anyone who's a victim of excessive fat, white flour, and concentrated sweeteners could benefit from a daily cup of dandelion tea.

Dandelion leaves contain abundant amounts of vitamins and minerals, especially Vitamins A, C and K, and are good sources of calcium (0.19% net weight), potassium (0.4% net weight) and fair amounts of iron and manganese, higher than similar leafy greens such as spinach. They contain 15% protein and 73% carbohydrates, 37% of which is fiber (27% of the leaves are fiber). The leaves also contain smaller amounts of over two dozen other nutrients, and are a significant source of beta carotene(0.03% net weight), lutein and zeaxanthin (combined 0.066% net weight) . A cup of dandelion leaves contains 112% daily recommendation of vitamin A, 32% of vitamin C, and 535% of vitamin K and 218 mg potassium, 103 mg calcium, and 1.7 mg of iron. Dandelions are also an excellent source of vitamin H , which is proven to aid in weight loss when ingested.

Dandelions are a natural diuretic and a spring tonic. Dandelion is used to cleanse the body naturally and is an herbal detoxification saint. It is believed that the herb produces beneficial effects by removing toxic pollutants in the body that have accumulated over time. It has also been known to prevent or cure various forms of Cancer.

Dandelions have many therapeutic benefits they support digestion, prevents anemia reduce swelling and inflammation, helps with hypertension and lowering blood sugar, treat skin problems such as eczema, warts and acne and number of other ailments including gallstones and gout. It is known as one of the most effective and beneficial herbal remedies. The roots, stems, and leaves of the dandelion excrete a white sticky resin, This sticky resin when applied directly to warts daily, several times a day, will slowly help to dissolve them.

A few other ways to use dandelion are : Make a tea using the flowers by boiling them in water for 15 minutes, roast the roots of dandelion to make a coffee substitute and for you wine connoisseur’s try making dandelion wine.

Dandelion’s are considered weeds and are known to be pesky. Plain and simple dandelions have a bad rap! So, next time you think of a dandelion think of all the great qualities it possesses. Forage your lawn for these nutritious leafy greens rather than spray them down with toxic chemicals. For old time’s sake, you can blow a wish to health. Take advantage of their healing and cleansing benefits.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,964 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:20 pm
@Buffalo,
we dont eat it much anymore because we can combine sorrel and endive to make a good garden grown substitute. My grandparents used to make us eat a"Spring tonic" meal or two that was composed of ramps, dandelion salad with a hot mustard and bacon dressing, shad roe and sassafras tea.
Its all hillbilly crap and I dont see any hillbillies escaping death.(Most of the one Ive known looked like hell wehn they died at 45)

I kinda like dandelion with the bacon dressing if I could find some dandelion that hasnt been hit by the township weed killer squad and since I live in an ag area, its time of the year when roundup and chem fertilizers are dumped on the ground. ALso, our lawn is rather small compared to the pastures that surround us, and I know our doggs use the lawn for a potty.

Id seen that they were selling dandelion seeds (from the tufts that are left after they flower).I just cant see me planting weed seeds .
SO we use the sorrel (sour like some of the dandelion hit) and endive.
Sorrel and endive, if covered , will last for several years in the garden rows.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:25 pm
Dandelion has been used as a food source for hundreds of years.

Roasted ground dandelion root makes an acceptable beverage.

The main reason dandelion leaves is not cultivated as a food source is that it doesnt taste as good as other similar leafy green products.
One or two dandelion leaves in a mixed green salad would add some interest.

The main reason Dandelion roots are not cultivated as a food source is that it doesnt taste as good as other similar food products.

Most people cant properly identify wild dandelion. and confuse it with capeweed or other flat weeds (which by the way are edible as well).

I prefer nastursium leaves and flowers in my salad.

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:30 pm
@dadpad,
we grow nasturtia for eats too. I have several rows of mesculen (Mixed greens) that are the peppery mixes with deer tongue lettuce, roquette, mustards, nasturtium, oak leaf lettuce and pepper grass. This makes a really good tasty salad. I have to watch the deep green salad materials because Im on coumadin and theres a lot of vitamin K in spinach, beet leaves and such. SO the pepper grass mesculens are great too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:33 pm
@dadpad,
I used to cook with dandelion leaves available at the grocery store back then. Similar to what I would do with collards and other greens. I like sorrel that I've grown myself - recommend Jane Grigson's sorrel potato soup. Tastes may differ.

I've grown mizuna (chrysanthememum of some sort) and liked it. .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:33 pm
I always liked the southern style collards where they cook it all day in a "pot likker" of ham and fatback and bacon. MMMMMMMMMMM--mmm. Thass what Im talkin bout.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
I've not done all day stuff - but still, I've liked collards. Been a while.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:37 pm
@Buffalo,
No, but sometimes I'll grab a few lambs quarter leaves to chew on while walking. Better than spinach in early spring. Not so good in late summer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:43 pm
Murrnong is/was a "dandelion" style plant native to Australia and used extensivly by Australian aboriginals.
It is a low-growing, tuberous plant with a circle of leaves and a small yellow flower, superficially similar to a dandelion. The tubers lie close to the surface and are a palatable source of energy, in the form of a carbohydrate called fructosan.
http://www.redreaming.info/DisplayStory.asp?id=80
0 Replies