Period confusion

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:15 am
Ok so heres my question. last month i started my period and it last for about 14 days. I went to the emergency room cuase i was scared becuase i was bleeding so much all the test the did came back fine. But as soon as i stopped bleeding 4 days later i started lightly and it lasted about 2 days and stopped and i was wondering if i could have gotten pregnant while on my period for them 14 days. I did have sex and me and my boyfriend have been trying for a baby. Whats this sound like to everyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:18 am
@xxxnikkiexxx,
what country are you in? How old are you?
dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:24 am
@dadpad,
I would suggest that it is possible for you to have been pregnant and spontaneously aborted. If this was the case I would have thought your doctors would have informed you. so perhaps I'm wrong in this regard.

It is VERY common for women having their first pregnancy to spontaneoussly abort. Its kinda like your body is having a little practice run.
Quote:
It is estimated that up to half of all fertilized eggs die and are lost (aborted) spontaneously, usually before the woman knows she is pregnant. Among those women who know they are pregnant, the miscarriage rate is about 15-20%. Most miscarriages occur during the first 7 weeks of pregnancy. The rate of miscarriage drops after the baby's heart beat is detected.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002458/

I'm not saying there is nothing to worry about. If you have concerns you should contact your doctor.
xxxnikkiexxx

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:32 am
@dadpad,
i live in the us but when i went to the emergency room they did blood pregnancy test and it was negative the even done a pelvic exam and it looked fine its weird cuase with in the past few days i have been really hungry and wierdly exhausted feeling
dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:40 am
@xxxnikkiexxx,
You did not say how old you are. I assume you are not of an age to be expecting menopause.
check back here in there may be further info available from other posters
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:08 am
@xxxnikkiexxx,
Those are similar symptoms I had when I was first pregnant many years ago. I bled for 2 weeks and then lightly spotted on a daily basis for another week or two.

It turns out that it had to do with our RH factors being incompatible. I have RH negative and was told that I would require an injection of Immune Globulin before becoming pregnant again in order to stop my body from producing antibodies and attempting to reject the embryo as a foreign invader of the body.

Here's some more info on RH factor:

http://www.sjhc.london.on.ca/sjh/programs/wmnshlth/rh.htm

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/rhfactor.html

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:59 am
@Butrflynet,
What you're saying about taking IG shots during pereganancy confuses me. When my mother was pregnant with me (I'm Rh Pos and she was RH neg), she did not take IG shots during the pregnancy. I was born and (though I was a blue baby) there were no IG shots and there was no issue.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:06 am
A heavy flow for 14 days is not a spontaeous abortion.

You just had a heavy period. Your body is depleted from that. That is what is causing you to be tired. Was your iron checked?

How old are you?

Maybe you should go on the pill for a while, get regulated, then go off. But you should check with a fertility Dr. if you are really concerned about not being able to get pregnant.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:34 am
@Ragman,
At the risk of a digression from the topic:

I just looked up IG shots and when they are administered (in week 28 and jsut before ...and after 72 hrs of birth).

When I was born (in dinosaur days), these were not invented yet. The first administration of these shots was in 1968:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:15 am
I'd suggest you go to your ob/gyn and get checked out. He/she should be able to answer and questions and also give you advice about getting pregnant and healthy habits for when you become pregnant.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:52 pm
@Ragman,
Were you the first born child?

Did you have any blood transfusions while in the womb or immediately after birh?

Quote:
What is Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn?
It is a condition in which the baby's blood cells are being destroyed, before birth. It is life threatening and extensive medical care including exchange blood transfusions may be required. Exchange blood transfusion is a process of removing the baby's blood and replacing it with blood cells which will survive.These exchange transfusions may occur during pregnancy and after birth depending on the condition of the baby.

At birth the baby may have jaundice, anemia, central nervous system and brain cell damage.

The risk of Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn is slight with the first pregnancy but increases with each pregnancy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:54 pm
@Ragman,
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0807970.html

Quote:
An incompatibility of fetal and maternal blood types may also cause a bluish coloration in newborn infants, a condition that results when red blood cells in the infant's blood are destroyed by antibodies in the mother's blood (see Rh factor). Sophisticated knowledge of blood types has made this condition increasingly rare.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:16 pm
@Ragman,
I was blue too - but that wasn't an Rh problem. I haven't read up on blood types since my days as a beginning lab tech, but I remember a lot of sturm and drang about the difficulties with the incompatibility. I think JPB is really knowledgeable about all that, and Butrflynet's points well taken.

On the symptoms - it could also be a bleeding fibroid, and sometimes those are small, thus probably hard to detect in an emergency room situation.

What I'd suggest nikkie do is see a gynecologist to figure out what it going on. And Punkey is right, re the tiredness possibly being due to anemia.

Edit - I just saw the date re 1968 - I had stopped memo'ing all the data re blood types back in '65 after my boards tests. Glad to know this is much less of a problem now, though it makes sense since we don't hear of that so much anymore, at least in the news.
0 Replies

xxxnikkiexxx

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:49 am
@dadpad,
im only 22 years old sorry i forgot to tell u my age
xxxnikkiexxx

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:54 am
@xxxnikkiexxx,
thank-you all for your help when i find out something ill let you all know
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:03 am
@xxxnikkiexxx,
Thats ok nikkie.
Are you ok now?
are you concerned enough to take the advice and see your doctor?

Maybe its not a bad idea to (your boyfriend will hate me for suggesting this) use condoms for a month or so till your body sorts itself out.
If you are intent on becoming pregnant in the near future there probably isnt much point in going back on the pill.
If you decide to put off getting pregnant for 3 months or more maybe think about the pill.
You can weigh up the pros and cons of what type of contraceptive to use yourself.
0 Replies