Please edit it

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:44 pm
We Chinese cannot visit youtube, facebook, twitter...even Google, which save us from being poisoned by malignant information and keep us a healthier mind (have you heard "simpler mind, stronger muscle?"). That is why our internet is better than yours.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 887 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:57 pm
@oristarA,
We Chinese cannot visit youtube, facebook, twitter...even Google, which saves us from being poisoned by malignant (not the best word but at present i dont have an alternative) information and keeps us in a healthier mind (have you heard "simpler mind, stronger muscle?"). That is why our internet is better than yours.

(have you heard "simpler mind, stronger muscle?")

This conjures up an image in my mind of a big strong dumb (unintelligent) individual, the sort of person you would use to do the heavy lifting but not rely on to make good decisions.

A better phase in the context of the sentence could be "sound mind, sound body." although what this has to do with google twitter, et al I do not understand and do not believe it to be a true maxim.

I disagree most strongly with the statement. As a user of facebook twitter and google I consider the parragraph to be disparaging to me and to my friends who enjoy my company. The person who wrote this is effectivly telling me that I and every other user are stupid. Some are most are not

I do hope this is not a general opinion amongst the Chinese population.
Oylok

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:08 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

...which save us from being poisoned by malignant information and keep us a healthier mind...

change to:

"which saves us from being misinformed and leaves us with clearer, healthier minds"
oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:

oristarA wrote:

...which save us from being poisoned by malignant information and keep us a healthier mind...

change to:

"which saves us from being misinformed and leaves us with clearer, healthier minds"

Thank you.

But that statement is for ... Hmm see my reply to DP.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:57 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

(have you heard "simpler mind, stronger muscle?")[/b]
This conjures up an image in my mind of a big strong dumb (unintelligent) individual, the sort of person you would use to do the heavy lifting but not rely on to make good decisions.

That is exactly the image that I wanted to conjure up. Hopefully it would thus serve as a reminder that the statement was just joking.

Most of Chinese people hate the restrictions.

Thank you for your excellent editing.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 05:33 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

We Chinese cannot visit youtube, facebook, twitter...even Google, which save us from being poisoned by malignant information and keep us a healthier mind (have you heard "simpler mind, stronger muscle?"). That is why our internet is better than yours.

I missunderstood "simple mind, stronger muscles" because you were taliking about "us (chinese) having healthier minds, you then immediatly use a metaphor about others Westerners)" without any indication you have changed who you are talking about.

I'm still not sure who exactly you intend to indicate (in your example) has the simpler minds.

Have you ever used a theasaurus? effectivly this is a dictionary that conglomerates (draws together) terms that have the same or a similar meaning.
Here is the entry for malignant.
http://thesaurus.com/browse/malignant

You can see the synonyms for malignant and also words like baleful dangerouse deadly that mean a similar but different thing to malignant and their associated synonyms.

In this case I feel "dangerouse" is better suited to the sentiment of the parragraph
dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 05:35 am
Quote:
That is exactly the image that I wanted to conjure up. Hopefully it would thus serve as a reminder that the statement was just joking.

that is not clear with the original parragraph.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:32 am
@dadpad,
That's a good site.

Thank you.
0 Replies