Please edit the quote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:36 pm

Quote:
Two hours ago a Chinese dentist said on one of the most distinguished academic websites in China:

(The original post is in Chinese)

Our experience tells us that it is not convenient at all to surf the Internet in the United States and Europe because the governments there have strictly controlled the net: a user has to sign in with his/her real name and has to pay. So it is not right to see China through colored lenses on its rigorous restrictions on its people to access WWW. Go the US and Europe to have the first hand experience so that you will understand China's internet environment is probably better than that of the US and Europe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:42 pm
@oristarA,
I see nothing wrong with the translation other than the author's position is false.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:48 pm
@oristarA,
The tripe needs considerable editing but given that it is totally erroneous and misleading propaganda I'd suggest you eschew involvement.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:01 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I see nothing wrong with the translation other than the author's position is false.

Thank you.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 12:20 am
@oristarA,
Our experience tells us that it is not convenient at all to surf the Internet in the United States and Europe because the governments there have strictly controlled the net:
Untrue. extreemly untrue. False.

a user has to sign in with his/her real name
False untrue.

and has to pay.
in the same way all services need to be paid for electricity telephone gas heating.

So it is not right to see China through colored lenses on its rigorous restrictions on its people to access WWW.

Seeing something through rose coloured glassesusually means seeing that thing as better than it really is.
Thus the sentence actually reads: So it is not right to see China's internet as better because of its rigerouse restrictions...
What the poster seems to be saying is china's internet is not better.
A better phrase may be "through a distorted lense"

China governement should restrict access to the criminal element that steals from interent accounts (Itunes) held by Australian residents using servers based in China. I have personal experience of this and was unable to find any method of redressing the problem. Chinese governement refused to act.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:12 am
Is this YOUR translation of what was said?

It is so upside down that I wonder if you mis-interpreted it.
oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:25 am
@dadpad,

Does "colored lense" most likely refer to "rose colored lense?"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:28 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Is this YOUR translation of what was said?

It is so upside down that I wonder if you mis-interpreted it.

So? I've posted it in an American forum and those E-speaking members (including Americans) reactted exactly as I've expected.

The last post I posted there is:

Quote:
Talking about closed mind, the situation in China is far more worse than that. We cannot search our leader's name in China (Google would show us *** which represented Hu Jintao in pinyin). We even cannot search carrot, because carrot in Chinese pinyin is Hu Luo Po, with the same "family name" as the leader's (Google will be shutdown when searching carrot in Chinese). When we search corruption, revolution (etc.) in Chinese, forums in China will all turn up with ***.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:31 am
@oristarA,
Should I use "was" in the sentence "The last post I posted there is?"
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:40 am
@oristarA,
Both or either would be acceptable and understood.

I think "is" because you have quoted it in this post.

eg. This is the last post I made. Here it is on this page.

If the post no longer existed you could use "was".

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 04:19 am
@dadpad,
Thanks
0 Replies