IBD: Defund Ethanol

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 09:09 am
http://demos.org/publication.cfm?currentpublicationID=7C545CF3-3FF4-6C82-53D1B0A1F2A212F6

Quote:

Energy Policy: A GOP senator and a Democratic congressman want to end the poster child for pork-barrel spending. Unfortunately, the road to the White House runs through the cornfields of Iowa.

It's easy to lampoon federal spending on turtle tunnels, bridges to nowhere or cowboy poetry readings. It is harder to deal with subsidies and tax credits for things that do real damage to our collective bottom line. Case in point: the tax credit for and mandated use of ethanol, the corn-based additive to gasoline that was supposed to save the earth and gasoline and pave the way to energy independence.

It has achieved neither, and Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., is trying to end this mother of all corporate welfare programs. He is joined in the effort by Rep. Ben Cardin, D-Md., and Charles Koch of the famous Koch brothers. He is opposed by just about every presidential contender and conservatives such as Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform.

Norquist says ending the Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit, which provides a 45-cents-a-gallon tax credit to ethanol producers, without an offsetting tax cut elsewhere, amounts to a tax increase that violates the no-new-taxes pledge he and his group demand from candidates.

Coburn disagrees, and so do we. Ending a tax credit is not a tax increase but rather the elimination of one of many distortions in the tax code that try to pick winners and losers, favoring this industry at the expense of that one. He notes that Citizens Against Government waste supports his position and his amendment to a small-business measure.

Ethanol is protected by a federal mandate that requires the production of 13.95 billion gallons of alternative fuels this year and 36 billion gallons by 2022. Without that mandate and a 54-cent-a-gallon tariff on foreign ethanol from the likes of Brazil, ethanol could not compete in the marketplace. To suggest the tax credit's a good deal for consumers and taxpayers is bogus.

It's the mandated use of ethanol that has imposed a hidden tax on consumers. Coburn points to a CBO report that states: "The increased use of ethanol accounted for about 10% to 15% of the rise in food prices between April 2007 and April 2008. In turn, that increase will boost federal spending for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamp program) and child nutrition programs by an estimated $600 million to $900 million in FY 2009."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 09:38 am
@gungasnake,
I rarely agree with you, but in this case, the ethanol "solution" is all bullshit. Its a costly energy intensive , money laundering scam for both parties. Bush started it and Dems jumped on it as one of the "feel good" energy policies.

I search for miles to find "Conventional "gas (gasoline without ethanol). Ethanol in gas has the same prognosis , automotively, like tetraethyl lead did in the 50's through the early 70's. Ethanol is de;eterious to engine life, is energy intensive to make, adds cost to the product, and the way its depreciated as a commodity, is taking food out of circulation.

PA corn is also being used for ethanol. Its high m,oisture and can be fermented and distilled at high proofs. It too, is being removed from the market and meat costs have skyrocketed in the last two years primarily because of the ethanol boosters
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:15 am
@gungasnake,
Sadly this time I to must agree with gungasnake for the reasons Farmerman had already given.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
I view ethanol production as a criminal activity, but it's also part of the same nexus via which a country like the United States which easily has the wherewithal for energy independence is kept in the thralls of OPEC and manufactured scarcity or at least the threat of manufactured scarcity.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 12:58 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I search for miles to find "Conventional "gas (gasoline without ethanol). ...

Is there such a thing??
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:36 pm
Ready for this?? Obunga and company are preparing to force GREATER use of ethanol on the United States:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21331

Quote:

The Obama administration and Democrats in Congress are facing resistance from the auto industry about a controversial proposal that would force consumers to use more ethanol in a bid to reduce fossil fuels consumption.

I. What's in the Bill?

The new bill, The Biofuels Expansion Act of 2011, has a number of provisions, but among its most controversial are efforts to expand government spending on ethanol and force ethanol on consumers.

Sponsored by Senators Tom Harkin (D-Iowa); Tim Johnson (D-South Dakota); Amy Klobuchar (D/"Farmer-Labor Party"- Minnesota); and Al Franken (D/"Farmer-Labor Party"-Minnesota), the bill could massively benefit corn farmers in the Midwest, but may not be so rosy for the rest of the country.

Under its proposals, government spending on ethanol would leap from $50M USD in 2012 to $350M USD by 2016. The government would also provide loan guarantees to construct new ethanol pipelines....

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
You might really want to take a look at this latest.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:44 pm
http://findfuturefuels.com/userfiles/image/ethanol-cartoon.gif
roger

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:55 pm
@gungasnake,
They forgot to mention how much carbon dioxide is produced in the fermentation process - which maybe doesn't make much difference, anyway.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:50 pm
@roger,
They didn't say anything about how many children are going hungry becauswe of this misuse of food resources either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:37 am
@gungasnake,
There are other ,less criminal fiascos in the energy market. The entire LPG pipeline movement has been pushed along mostly by foreign interests to make us further dependent . Now that we are able to really become energy czars (with our huge strikes of natural gas due to drilling and fracking technology) we could really turn the tables and pipe the gas OUT of our country and sell it as a workd commodity

Quote:
farmerman said
I search for miles to find "Conventional "gas (gasoline without ethanol). ...
gungasnake said
Is there such a thing??

YEs, apparently there is a provision for certain producers to make and sell gasoline without ethanol. These are mostly stations who sell gasoline for specific classes pf vehicles.

The entire ethanol issue is an area of government that has made me quite angry. I write several letters every quarter to my state and fed representatives and state and fed committee chairmen.
Ive also written a few pieces in op eds for our local papers. (The Inquireer already has someone who is an ethanol whistleblower)

It IS a crime and saves us nothing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:14 am
@gungasnake,
Once again, I am happy to agree with Gangasnake.
0 Replies