in the pipeline = in preparation?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:59 am

Context:

Scientists have issued a stark warning over the rise of new superbugs resistant to the most powerful antibiotics.
Less than a handful of antibiotics are currently in the pipeline to combat antibiotic resistant bacteria with the worldwide spread of genes resistant to last resort antibiotics a 'nightmare scenario', the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1374293/Warning-new-superbugs-resistant-resort-antibiotics.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 630 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
@oristarA,
in the pipeline = in preparation?
Could be in any of the various stages of preparation, research or trial stages.
oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 09:47 pm
@dadpad,
Thanks
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:59 pm
@dadpad,

I don't agree with that, exactly.

"In the pipeline" means pre-delivery, in production, something like that. Not research imho.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:08 am
@McTag,
We in the USA may have a broader definition of "pipeline''.

As soon as any project is begun, even in the earliest research phase, it's considered "in the pipeline".

Joe(so, how's by you?)Nation
contrex

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
I don't think that's a US thing. The phrase "in the pipeline" is an idiomatic one with a loose meaning. In the US or elsewhere it can mean "possibly on the way maybe" or "definitely coming" or something in between.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:26 pm
@contrex,
Oh, I'm sure you're right, contrex, but I was only reporting on the English I know, that which is spoken in these United States. I would never try to guess what the speakers of English elsewhere, and there are so many versions of English worldwide, might or might not use.

Two of my best friends speak English as a second language. They both speak Spanish, but one is from Spain near the Pyrenees and the other is from the mountains of Peru. It's really fun to hear them argue in English about what the Spanish is for something. Not what is proper, (that's always useless) but what words are used.

We should have that kind of discussion here amongst the speakers of the multitudinous varieties of English.

Joe(later)Nation
0 Replies