Getting a Pet Turtle

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 02:32 pm
I need advice on what to do once you have a pet turtle? I am thinking about gettin one but only after I have convinced my dad, so I am doing reasearch and I was wondering... well every thing so if you could help me find a website or tell me a little bit about turtles as pets that would be great!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:47 pm
@ziggles12,
What kind of research have you been doing? Have you yet done a Google search on how to raise a pet turtle? If not, this will get you started:

Google Search
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:17 pm
Just a word of caution... They are banned as pets in Alberta because they have a tendency to carry salmonella.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:27 pm
@Ceili,
On the other hand, my old business partner still has a now, mm, 30 something year old box turtle, and another one approaching her teens..
Ceili

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't doubt it. Government rules are some times a wee bit draconian, but she should be aware that it could be a possibility, that's all.
Tragik82

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 05:48 pm
@ziggles12,
Had a turtle years back a red eared slider....word of advice clean the tank religiously it will get moldy and will stink badly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 05:59 pm
@Ceili,
Yeh, not arguing. I remember when I brought that up before on a2k, I was corrected about how to care for box turtles, we were way wrong - but ours were quite happy slappy; I miss them quite a bit. We're all ten years older now, including the turtles. So that's a caution I would note - protect and keep that turtle, it may live past you. Not quite the same thing as a hamster, or.. a pet dog, and I love dogs.

I looked at an online site and they didn't feed them the way we did - lettuce, apples, worms.. and I forget what else. Somehow I remember a kiwi.

One of these days I'll post some neat turtle photos.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
We didn't have a tank, but a plexiglas built up rectangle that business partner designed and put together. We cleaned it often. It had a heat lamp, natch, and we kept the light bulbs current. The plexi was good, as we could easily carry them out to the gallery back area to bathe in the sunshine. Their pond was cleaned often (a french ceramic tart dish), and straw changed.
0 Replies