What should we do?

manored

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 12:47 pm
@MrSandman,
MrSandman wrote:

I took a friend out for lunch before he had to fly out of town. We went to an Indian buffet and my friend went overboard on the curry dishes. He realized this when he was given the middle seat and noticed he was definately giving off an oder. This make him sweat which only made things worse. He told me he spent most of the flight in the bathroom trying to wash it off or apologizing to the people sitting on either side. Hahahaha - good times....
This isnt a thread about curry, despite the large number of posts about curry =)

Setanta wrote:

You know, the Ayn Rand crew always crack me up. They slavishly follow every pearl of wisdom which dropped from her lips, ignoring that the core of her philosophy was self-reliance. Irony will never die.
And I dont even know where this came from.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 01:25 pm
@JLNobody,
Facts of Life

Red wine will spoil if exposed to light. Hence the tinted bottles.

In our society, some laws/rules/regulations/systems promote individuals to choose to act in a way as to cause the LOSS of options and capabilities(freedom/empowerment) for others because it will result in their own personal gain..

The day after Thanksgiving is the busiest day for plumbers. (In the U.S. of course.)

The REASON that we DO LOGICAL things, is to accomplish our OBJECTIVES..

Coffee beans are not beans at all, rather fruit pits.

It is NOT necessary to choose any particular objective, nor is it necessary to accomplish any particular objective, because necessity is purely a matter of a chosen objective..

Scuba divers can not pass gas at depth deeper than 33 feet.

We all WANT to accomplish objectives this is KNOWN and TRUE, this is the very definition what it is to be a LIVING HUMAN BEING.. "To want, to seek, to find"

Setanta is illogical and unreasonable and unwilling to have a reasonable disscussion and is intentionaly obtuse.. as well as others and you know who you are.. like I said you're being "intentionaly" obtuse, thus you KNOW who you are..

Henry Ford produced the model-T in black. Because black paint at the time was the fastest to dry.

The TRUTH is what it is.. and is not for anyone to decide.. but rather LEARN..

A shrimps heart is in it’s head.

In the end there can NEVER BE any distinguishable difference between TRUTH and GOD..

The average American consumes enough caffeine in one year to kill a horse.

Jesus said “I am the TRUTH”

Studies have proven that cold showers actually stimulate your sex drive.

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 02:42 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Quote:
Scuba divers can not pass gas at depth deeper than 33 feet

whats significant?
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm
@Cyracuz,
NOTHING YOU HAVE SAID THUS FAR, wanker..

Most of you seem to imply that there can be absolutly NO MEANINGFULL DISSCUSSION thus you choose not to take part in any attempt at said disscussion..
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:25 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Here is an earlier attempt of mine to engage in the discussion. You ignored it the first time, and if you ignore it again I will know what you mean by "meaningful discussion", and I will know who is the wanker.

Whatsignificant ignored:
Quote:
Just because we all choose and achieve objectives does not mean that this is "the logical goal of every individual and for all of humanity".

In the context of "what should we do" I do not see how your line of reasoning can lead to any answer to your question. You are just taking a fundamental natural process and trying to peddle it as the highest end. But achieving objectives is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:45 pm
@Cyracuz,
I do not expect you to believe or agree with those opinions that ONE CANNOT KNOW because they are NOT observably TRUE from within their own perspective..

Some things are observably TRUE from the point of view of a LIVING PERSON, simply because one can take on a different perspective does not make what is observably TRUE from another perspective FALSE..

You are not entitled to say that ONE PERSPECTIVE is TRUE and another is FALSE simply because you don't like it or don't want it to be the case..

It is either distinguishably KNOWABLE(TRUE) or it is distinguishably UNKNOWN or even distinguishably FALSE..

I express my influence and you experience my influence, and you express your influence and I experience your influence..

In our society, some laws/rules/regulations/systems promote individuals to choose to act in a way as to cause the LOSS of options and capabilities(freedom/empowerment) for others because it will result in their own personal gain..

The REASON that we DO LOGICAL things, is to accomplish our OBJECTIVES..

It is NOT necessary to choose any particular objective, nor is it necessary to accomplish any particular objective, because necessity is purely a matter of a chosen objective..

I am not interested in your absurd assumptions of some ultimate goal which is quite simply your presumptuous irrelevant opinion.. which has come from idle speculation...

Reasoning is to distinguish what is KNOWN from what is UNKNOWN..

Unreasonable is to come to conclusions based on presumptuous irrelevant idle speculation...
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:12 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Quote:
You are not entitled to say that ONE PERSPECTIVE is TRUE and another is FALSE simply because you don't like it or don't want it to be the case..

But you are I take it? Is that why you can say that "the REASON that we DO LOGICAL things, is to accomplish our OBJECTIVES", and then just disregard the objection that this is an arbitrary point that has no anchor to reality? It is a simple observation that we apply logic towards our goals, it is not our grand purpose here to DO LOGICAL things to accomplish our OBJECTIVES.

I don't know the REASON you are posting here. What's your OBJECTIVE? Isn't it about time to DO SOMETHING LOGICAL?

And it isn't a discussion if you just keep recycling the same post over and over again. Its you talking down to people in a way that would likely earn you a split lip should you try it with someone face to face.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
{"to be empowered to choose and achieve objectives"}

Those who do not seek {"to be empowered"} can be shot, as obviously they CANNOT seek the empowerment to unempower themselves.. or they would be liars..

Those who do not seek {"to choose and achieve objectives"} can be placed in slave camps providing goods and services to those who seek {"to be empowered to choose and achieve objectives"}

And the rest can seek {"to be empowered to choose and achieve objectives"}

No problem..
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:07 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Oh I see..

So those who would rather enjoy their care-free existence than seek to empower themselves should be shot? Very reasonable.

And those who think in other terms than yours should be slave laborers for your benefit, I get it. Very innovative and productive thinking. Good boy.

I think it is clear where you would put yourself in this hierarchy of yours. You are an empowered achiever of objectives, who has every right to decide the fate of others based on your immense capacity for logic thought. Thank you for showing me whats significant.

You sound like an egomaniac.

Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:39 pm
@Cyracuz,
Most of you seem to imply that there can be absolutely NO MEANINGFULL DISSCUSSION thus you choose not to take part in any attempt at said discussion..

You make NO attempt to be reasonable as in (use reasoning)

{You sound like an egomaniac. }

I am all that I can be..

I am not interested in your absurd assumptions which quite simply are your presumptuous irrelevant opinion..

Considering your interpretation of my words and your completely irrelevant responses to my statements, it is unlikely that any opinion that you have is founded on logical reasoning.. .

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:06 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Quote:
I am not interested in your absurd assumptions which quite simply are your presumptuous irrelevant opinion..

I could say the same to you.

I did make an attempt at using reason. You ignored it, so I made it again, and you ignored it that time too. So here it is again:

Just because we all choose and achieve objectives does not mean that this is "the logical goal of every individual and for all of humanity".

What this means is that for meaningful discussion to ensue, you have to clarify and prove conclusively that chosing and achieving objectives is the logical goal of every individual and for all of humanity. If you can do that, I will consider your ideas.
But simply telling me that all humans do this is by no means proving the validity of your chain of "reasoning". There are rules to be considered, and unless you are prepared to follow those rules we aren't going to be able to agree on so much as the color of the sky.

So, are you going ignore this again and show us all that you are indeed a wanker?
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:21 pm
@Cyracuz,
Anyone who dissagrees is totally irrelevant or is DEAD.. as they have NO DESIRE to choose or achive objectives..

{I could say the same to you. } NO YOU COULDN'T...

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:32 pm
@Whatsignificant,
Do you not see that you are the one who is killing the discussion with such retarded remarks. How does that address the perfectly valid objection I raised?

Let me put it to you differently.
We complete objectives, true, but by virtue of being humans this happens automatically. No matter what I do, I will be completing objectives. It cannot be avoided. So saying that chosing and achieving objectives is the logical goal of every individual and for all of humanity is nonsense. It is just as productive as ejaculating on your keyboard.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:39 pm
@Cyracuz,
One could NOT ejaculate on your keyboard if they did not seek to choose and achive objectives.

It's like you say,

"Well yes that is absolutely true, therefore is must be absolutely irrelevant.”

Thus you are absolutely unreasonable..
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:50 pm
@Whatsignificant,
You come off as if this is a matter of choice, as if you are saying that "this is the logical goal, so all should do it". But why in the hell do I need to set it on my agenda to remember to do something that I do automatically by virtue of having life? That is what is means to say that it should be the goal of all humanity.
It's like you are saying "remember to breathe", as if the process required effort.

I have just about as much control over this as I have of my heart beating. None. If either stops, so do I.

Are you there yet? I need a shower and frankly, Im getting a headache.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
@Cyracuz,
{I need a shower and frankly, Im getting a headache. }

Well maybe your heart beat will give you a shower and cure your headeche, hey buddy..
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:28 pm
@Cyracuz,
Your persistence is admirable, but I think he wont be making sense anytime soon. It feels as though he has a radically different understanding of language/logic/reasoning/meaning than we do, kinda like an alien.
Whatsignificant

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:49 pm
@manored,
Ya because observing the most fundemental obvious FACTS of LIFE can't possibly be relevant to ANY ONE but an alien..
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:32 pm
@Whatsignificant,
You are up to prove that wahtever you choose you were free to choose it...because you see, you did choose it, out of you needing it!

Set goals?
Empowerment?
Oh child...spare me the sex and the city breakfirst sugar happy speech!...
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:41 pm
@Whatsignificant,

Quote:
Reasoning is not to “decide” what is TRUE, it is to “distinguish” what is KNOWN from what is UNKNOWN..

disagree

Reason is to bring in knowledge , to inhance what is known or not known

Quote:
Logic is not arbitrary it is the “mental realization” of the existence of TRUTH itself.. The observation of the phenomenon of “the way it is”

The essence of LOGIC is in this statement..

“Contrary objectives CANNOT be accomplished.”

“a House that stands against itself, cannot stand”

only if the reasoning is sound

0 Replies