dating help, problems, advice?

drzdude

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:19 pm
Hi everyone, first post on here. So I have created an unhealthy situation for myself. Its been about a month since we have even talked so it doesn't feel like a big deal to me luckily anymore! So there is this girl I go to school with, she just turned 29 and i am 27. We are both in college. she lives out of town and needed a place to stay. We started talking a lot on the phone for a few weeks and then since there is an extra room in the house where i am i told her she could stay here with her friend (another girl). First night she stayed we went drinking and i almost had sex with her. i am still a virgin, was waiting till marriage, now i don't know. Really just want to have sex with someone I care about and not a one night stand. i am a sensitive guy, nice guy. i have not had a lot of girl friends or even dated a lot since high school. Dating is hard for me because i struggle with anxiety problems. So we hung out a lot over the next few weeks. Her friend seemed to have a problem with her hanging out with me for some reason. For example they both carpool together and one Friday she was going to ride all the way back to her house with her friend and then drive her car an 1.5 hours back to see me that night just to make her friend happy. I talked her out of doing this. So she invited me down to her house which is a few hours away. I stayed there for 2 nights, I thought we had fun. She backed off after that and she said she felt freaked out by me staying at her house. She said we could keep doing what we were doing but she didn’t want a boyfriend. I asked her if she wanted to just be friends and she said no. We hung out a few more times and then she stopped talking to me and became cold. Last time I saw her she didn’t even say hi. I know she doesn’t like confrontation. I tried talking to her about what was going on and she gives me nothing and doesn’t want to talk. She’s distant and uninterested. I find it troubling since I spent so much time talking to her on the phone, once 3 ½ hrs into the night. I felt close to her and then she doesn’t want to speak at all. And we never had a fight or anything. Then I found out yesterday she has a new boyfriend already? Why couldn’t she just tell me lets be friends and communicate like a normal person? Or am I the crazy person? It’s troubling since she still stays at my house a couple days a week. I just want us talk like we used to. I miss her. Can we no longer be friends? Should I give up on talking to her about what’s going on and pretend like her avoidance doesn’t bother me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:35 pm
Well, it seems pretty clear that she does not feel the same way about you.

I can get it that you are having difficulty understanding all this because of the mixed messages that she gave. But it's clear NOW there's not going to be a romantic future for you two.

So - if you want her to remain your friend - and can accept that it will be WITHOUT "benefits" - then continue to allow her to use the home. Because that's ALL she wants from you.

But, if this is too painful for YOU, then request that she find other living arrangements. And tell her that you just can't take her mercurical way.

PS - don't expect to bed your roommate next time. Keep it platonic.

drzdude

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
LOL it was never expected and i was cautious going into it. i told her isn't this going to get weird if we do anything and she said no. bad choice i wish i could have said no and kept her as a friend.
aidan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:16 am
@drzdude,
She doesn't sound like she'd be a very good friend.
If you guys were friends and this new person came into her life who was more of a candidate for romance for her, why couldn't she have just been considerate and honest and say, 'I want you to know - I may not be around as much anymore or as available for long phone conversations because I've met someone. I just want you to know that, so you won't feel confused and wonder what's going on.'

If she appreciated and valued your friendship, she'd want you to know what's going on.

She sounds like a user- she used you when she didn't have anyone else- and then once she got someone else and you were no longer of use to her - she dropped you.
I'd drop her.
drzdude

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:36 am
@aidan,
Those are my thoughts exactly. It feels like she used me and she doesn't care at all about me. It's difficult for me to accept that.
aidan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 04:12 pm
@drzdude,
Yes, I can understand that it's hard to accept. But if you can frame it in your mind that it wasn't meant to be- in other words that you and she just weren't meant for each other but that you're still a good and valuable person who is meant for someone - just not this particular girl- you can emerge feeling good and strong about yourself instead of not good enough or lacking in some way.

And if you do get to see and know the other guy she ended up with - that may help. Once I got the definite feeling that someone I was interested in had moved on and I pictured the new partner as being better and prettier than me in every way - I thought 'they must be smarter, more interesting, more attractive', etc...and then I actually saw the person and I was like, 'Oh God - okay - if that's what he's wanted this whole time - I could have NEVER fit the bill,' - in other words he wanted someone I could never be and would never aspire to be...so more power to them.

You have to find someone who wants someone like YOU.
Mame

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 04:14 pm
@drzdude,
Sometimes we just have to suck things up, dd, and this is one of them. She just isn't that into you, so kick her out and move on. Everyone deserves someone who really loves them. We just have to wait for it.
drzdude

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 08:59 pm
@Mame,
WELL, i thought about kicking her out or asking her to leave. my roommate owns the house and thinks they are good tenants. he wasn't very understanding. the good news is they were supposed to be here till july but i think will be finished staying here in about 5 or 6 weeks. i guess i just have to stick it out.
0 Replies

drzdude

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
@aidan,
thanks for the advice. i don't know the other person, both of them live a couple hours away. she was never right for me but i enjoyed the company and we had fun together. i just need to get there and meet more people and girls.
0 Replies