worried i have diabetes/anemia

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:11 am
I've recently not been feeling great and so went to the doc's just to see if everything was alright, she told me that I had symptoms that could be either diabetes or anemia or maybe just stress-related so I went in for a blood test last week and got told to call back today to find out. I've just got off the phone and was told that there was something abnormal in one of my tests so I would have to come in to talk to the Doctor, but it wasn't really urgent and so the earliest they could get me in is just under a month... It's not urgent so it can't be that bad, but I'm freaking out... has anyone been in this type of situation before that could help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,152 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:18 am
@lovebites9spiderbite,
You mean a big, life changing event, but it's okay to put off for a month or so? Sounds unreasonable, but it's about the norm. If the results show you have diabetes, you've probably had it for several years, and another month more or less isn't going to make much difference. If that's what it is, and if your case is extremely advanced, they would probably get you in a lot sooner, at least if you are in the U.S.

Don't get upset. If that's what it is, just finding out and taking charge of it puts you ahead of a great many who also have the disease. I can't tell you a thing about anemia, but judging from the way they are scheduling you, it's probably something else that needs attention but nothing to panic over.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:21 am
I would start with looking for a new doctor. If it is not that serious then they can tell you over the phone...making you wait a month is cruel.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 06:03 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree. I would also ask for a copy of the test results. If you don't understand it, there are websites that offer explanations of the meanings of blood test results. You can also ask here. We have many folks on this site who are all too familiar with blood tests. Sad

It is ridiculous for you to have to wait a month to learn what the tests found.
0 Replies