America Does Not Want Foreign Tourism!

John Webb

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:47 pm
As a matter of interest, the European media are describing the Bush aircraft-detention policy as nothing more than a cynical "Crying Wolf" exercise, designed to guarantee the re-election of the President by inducing the false belief that America is under attack from the rest of the world. On the basis, repeat the lie often enough and everyone will believe it.

It would seem some Europeans are a little smarter than the average bear ..... which is more than can be said for a few on this forum.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:56 pm
The little boy who cried wolf.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:57 am
It is reported today that Brazil has decided to photograph and fingerprint all American air travellers on the grounds that if the President is going to treat their citizens like criminals by inflicting this draconian measure upon them, they will reciprocate.

How soon before other nations do the same?
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:47 am
I hear the F.B.I. have admitted that the British flight was cancelled because they mistook three tourists from Kentucky by the names of 'bin Snoozin', 'bin Dancin' and 'bin Drinkin' for terrorists. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:51 am
I think John is right. I think this will affect foreign tourism to the US.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:05 am
wilso
Of course at this point one can only guess. However, I believe although it may effected the flow of tourism it will only be for the short run.
People who want to visit the US will continue to do so. It is no different from any change people will complain and threaten when first imposed and than life will go on as usual.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:35 am
When you consider the vast amount of 2 way trade there is between the States & Europe, the FBI & immigration should take care. Delaying an incoming flight could damage a lot of export deals as well as any tourism. Both the British Pound & the Euro are gaining strength against the US Dollar.
The American currency maybe the largest in the world & it used to be that the Dollar was the prefered international trading curenecy for the majority. But if America insists on pulling more bricks out of the good will it still has around the world, the American economy will suffer.
America cannot withdraw into it's shell & at the same time play world wide cop.
I would like to visit the States again so perhaps I should sanitise myself & hope the FBI believe I'm squeaky clean
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:10 pm
I'll tell you this, as a foreigh tourist. The more Georgie calls wolf, the less safe I feel about crossing into your borders. Between the authorities or terrorrists, I'm not sure which one is gonna get me first.

I don't really fell this way, but I bet a bunch of people do/will.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:26 pm
Ceili
This too shall pass.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
For those seeking a genuine international reaction to the 'alleged' security measure, the following link may prove helpful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3368839.stm

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
http://www.reforma.com/carton/rictus/img/20040105.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:13 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Para obtener tu acceso, por favor sigue las instrucciones que aparecen en el recuadro verde. :wink:
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:58 pm
The official White House explanation why terrorists will only enter America using commercial flights, so I understand, is because Muslim hijackers are too stupid to realise that when international planes are being halted and searched, they can still enter the U.S.A. by a wide range of other means and then board internal flights. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:19 pm
Huh?
Mandatory Fingerprinting at Airports

All foreigners travelling by plane to the United States will now be fingerprinted and photographed, said Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge. The program, announced in the New York Times, will supposedly make our borders more secure from terrorists. Unless, of course, they are European terrorists. Visitors from twenty-eight countries, mostly European ones, are exempt from the finger printing process.

Didn't the majority of 911 Saudi crew come from Germany?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
fbaezer wrote:
Para obtener tu acceso, por favor sigue las instrucciones que aparecen en el recuadro verde. :wink:

A few hours ago I could see the cartoon! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

au1929

Pistoff
Quote:

All foreigners travelling by plane to the United States will now be fingerprinted and photographed, said Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge. The program, announced in the New York Times, will supposedly make our borders more secure from terrorists. Unless, of course, they are European terrorists. Visitors from twenty-eight countries, mostly European ones, are exempt from the finger printing process.

I have little doubt that if this works as advertised it will be expanded to all incoming visitors to the US. In fact I expect that in the not to distant future it will be in use worldwide. Terrorism neither knows or respects borders.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Damn! I do see the cartoon now!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:33 pm
fbaezer
Cartoon, what cartoon? Question Question
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:38 pm
Well, a family of tourists stands in front of the American flag... only instead of the stripes, you get the measurement lines for suspects.

It's a cartoon from today's paper. I guess you have to be a suscriber to see it. Sorry.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:48 pm
John Webb
IMO anything that can be done to minimize the risk is to me acceptable. .The contention that we do nothing since the terrorist will only find another way is absurd. Based on that why should people lock their doors after all a determined thief will find a way. The key word is minimize.
0 Replies