Thread about chat and its difficulties

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:37 pm
Some of us who have browsers that work fine with the 1-hour a2k effort on chat, a push from the developers in spare time - are sailing along with it.
Some or many a2kers can't get a handle on it, for good reason, re their browsers.

Some ran into it on April Fool's and did not get at all the multiple tricks - which were engaging if you could follow them - it wasn't all nonsense, or rather it was sometimes buoyant nonsense, as real posters interacted and robots took over their names and posts - you had to be there and be quick, and sometimes it was just a complete mess.

Meantime, we who are ok on the chat line keep seeing people trying for a few seconds and disappearing. They virtually never stick around for us to make suggestions from what we have observed, but instead wait for it all to be fixed.

It is possible that workarounds can be done, seems to me, or maybe not, but this is - probably an IE defect, a defect apparently over several years (I gather).
I of all people am not clear on which IE to choose, or all or none of them. I too am reluctant to change browsers or add another one, as a techno sassafras. I'm just lucky, that Safari is fine with the chat room.

It seems from my observation that there are quite a lot of suggestions that people change to Google Chrome, and not just for this aspect.

This post should be in
Groups - Able2know, not under Forums, but almost no one seems to ever look there up at the top of the screen. I'll leave it here for now.

In the meantime, many people have posted remedies to fix problems, but as they are often posted on chat, they tend to disappear.

So, complain here, if you promise to come back and look at what people answer.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,339 • Replies: 14

roger

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose with Explorer I've just got the wrong browser. Like some others, I'm not even going to find out what happens when I have two or more at once. Ya'll enjoy it now, hear?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
sorry. I have no interest in chat so I don't care what its problems are
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:30 pm
@panzade,
too bad, you'd be great at it.. there is a lot of play, as in the cartoon stuff, when things are working well. You can't kid me, I know you are swift, or at least slow with a wave.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm on Chrome and it seems pretty ok with the chat.

If it's not working on other browsers, Chrome is free, doesn't take up much room, and you might like to use it even if only for chat?
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:55 pm
@panzade,
I done seen you there, so I have.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@dlowan,
That's what I was guessing..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:08 pm
@dlowan,
The thing I didn't emphasize is that I gather one can just add google chrome, no big deal. This is why it is bad that I am the one to start this thread, as I am the stupidest possible tech person, but I'm fervent.

Cyclo made me do it...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
But... someone needed to. It's been days of people showing up for seconds at a time and disappearing.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
... Meantime, we who are ok on the chat line keep seeing people trying for a few seconds and disappearing. They virtually never stick around for us to make suggestions from what we have observed, but instead wait for it all to be fixed. ...

roger wrote:

I suppose with Explorer I've just got the wrong browser. Like some others, I'm not even going to find out what happens when I have two or more at once.

That would be me.

I have faith in Robert though. I'm sure he (and his co-workers) will eventually be able to get it working okay with those with IE browsers.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:22 pm
@Reyn,
So you are adamant you'll never ever add
chrome' to your existing browser?

(I'm not in sales for Chrome, it just seems a simple move to me, your average computer dolt) I may have to add it myself.
Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 09:59 am
@ossobuco,
It's complicated, as I also use Quero to remove ads.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
i don't like that the chat is not on the new posts page anymore, i like cruising the threads and chatting at the same time
Mame

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:29 am
@djjd62,
where is the chat feature now?

never mind, found it.
dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:31 pm
@Mame,
That was quick.
0 Replies