we must also must stay focused ?

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:18 pm

Using two "must" here. I think it is grammatically okay and rhetorically excellent.
Do you agree with me?

Context:

The list of diseases and deficiencies that threaten lives and livelihoods across the world is nearly limitless, but our resources are not. So therefore, we must be strategic and make evidence-based decisions in targeting the most dangerous threats, to ensure that our investments that, after all, come from the American taxpayer, deliver results. And we must also must stay focused on the long-term picture – not only addressing the urgent needs that people have today but building the foundation for better health tomorrow and for the next generation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 830 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:36 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Using two "must" here. I think it is grammatically okay and rhetorically excellent.
Do you agree with me?

No. you are not correct.
The second must is a typographical error or inadvertant inclusion.

And we must also stay focused on the long-term picture.

Also I think the use of "And" at the beginning of a sentence, like it is used here, is incorrect.
This is likely to cause some debate among posters here and I welcome further opinion.

We must also stay focused on the long-term picture. removing "And" does not in my mind change the meaning the sentence.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:40 pm
to ensure that our investments that, after all, come from the American taxpayer, deliver results.
Here too is a less than acceptable repetition.

I would prefer to see the first "that" left out completely. perhaps repositioning the comma to before the second "that" would make it more readable.
This too is likely to cause some debate.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:21 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Do you agree with me?

Not the way you've written it.

However, I suggest this alternative, which conveys the sense of urgency you seem to be looking for:

Quote:
And we must, I repeat, must stay focused on the long-term picture – not only addressing the urgent needs that people have today but building the foundation for better health tomorrow and for the next generation.

0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:30 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
we must also must stay focused

Or better yet, replace...

must also must

with

must, I say must,

This is the transcription of someone's speech, isn't it?
oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:40 pm
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:

This is the transcription of someone's speech, isn't it?

Yes. The speaker seems to emphasize her point.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:40 pm
Thank you both.
0 Replies