Few...more?

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:58 pm
I don't get "Few investments are more consistent with all of our values and few are more sound." Would you please rephrase it for me?

It seems to me that it conveys the meaning "no other investments are more consistent with all of our values and are more sound." But this understanding is not clear as a bell at all.

Context:

And we invest in global health as a clear and direct expression of our compassion. Millions die every year simply because they lack access to very simple interventions, like bed nets, or vitamin-fortified food, or oral rehydration therapy. As a nation and a people, we cannot, we must not, accept those senseless deaths. It’s just not in our DNA. That’s why Americans frequently report that they support their tax dollars going to global health programs – not because of what the money can do for us, but because of what it can and does do for others. Few investments are more consistent with all of our values and few are more sound. Global health is a prime example of how investing our resources strategically can have an immediate and lasting impact on people, communities, and countries.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 479 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:20 pm
Few = a small amount, little, only some.

{only some} investments are more consistent with all of our values and {only a small amount} are more sound.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:25 pm
@oristarA,
What the parragraph is saying is that there are only a small number of other investments that are consistent with all the values of Americans and that there are not many investments that are sound {giving good returns} investments.
oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:56 pm
@dadpad,
Okay.
Thank you.
0 Replies