Bathroom Window Solution

hawkeye10

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 12:19 am
@dadpad,
Ya, if you are going to do all that then why not go get the window that is designed for this situation and fix it right??

http://www.illusionsinc.com/product_details.asp?CatID=2&ProductID=8&internal_index=0

http://www.illusionsinc.com/product_details.asp?CatID=1&ProductID=2&internal_index=0
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 07:44 am
@dadpad,
I do get your drift. Something like that could work, though yes it is a bigger project than I had in mind at this point.

I was thinking of something similar (had discarded the idea, but was thinking of it), to make a frame that goes just inside the window with magnets or velcro, and an opaque, waterproof covering could go on it for showers and be taken off when the shower is not in use.

What is dampcourse?

I think the opaque glass would be fine when the only light is from outside, but not at night when it's dark outside and lights on in the bathroom. Perhaps with the heavy regular shower curtain. I was thinking I could do the fake stained glass treatment, but when the panes are slid out of the way that would be doubled up and wouldn't look as nice, and also would be doubly opaque and let in very little light on that half (the window is 2 feet wide, so it'd become a ~1' wide by ~4' high window when the pane is slid out of the way -- not optimal, but interesting).

I definitely agree that I don't want to plastic things up. I need to be practical too though, we're just not going to rip out a perfectly functional window and put in a new one (or change the placement of this one) any time soon. (We have a bunch of other windows that are not perfectly functional that would need attention first.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 07:53 am
Quote:
What is dampcourse?

A rubberised plastic layer that stops moisture from soaking in to the timber frame of your house.
In this case (aluminium sliding frame) it would stop moisture soaking into the timber frame of your window under the aluminium frame. If you have a look at my reno thread the new windows have a black layer at the bottom of them. When finished its all tucked out of sight.
http://able2know.org/topic/170298-2#post-4564680
sozobe

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:23 am
@dadpad,
I see, thanks.

Here's a quick and messy mockup of what I meant re: the velcro or magnet frame (magnet would seem to be a little easier to keep clean).

It'd be a thin wood frame inserted tightly into the existing frame (maybe even with sealant), and then topped with magnet strips:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/magnetframe.jpg

Then (quick and messy, it would actually fit right inside the window opening), made from waterproof fabric in a darkish print (with corresponding magnets on the window side):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/windowcover.jpg
sozobe

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:27 am
@sozobe,
Part of why I didn't like this idea when I first thought of it is the problem of where the window covering goes when it's not in use. I just realized that sozlet has a built-in multi-rod towel rack (the bathroom had been shared by two kids), and she only uses one -- probably not hard to drape the window covering over one of the rods when not in use.
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:49 am
I ...hate it.( sorry)

modified glass screen idea,
frosted shower screen glass (or mirrored... hey I like that idea)
Hinged at the ?right hand side of the window... hinges attached on the wall, not inside the window frame.
Is there enough space to allow the Hinged screen to swing out from the window across the top of the bath and lay flat against the wall?
Mirrored to the outside when closed across the window, once you open it and its laying flat against the wall you could use it as a mirror.
If there is not enough space flat againt the wall it could possibly angle across a corner.
sozobe

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:59 am
@dadpad,
Yeah, I didn't love it either, it was considered and then dropped. I didn't like the idea of magnets or velcro sitting there all the time.

The hinged door is more interesting....hmmm.

There isn't enough space for it to lay flat I don't think. Close though, I'll measure.
ossobuco

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 01:33 pm
@sozobe,
That's why I mentioned double doors (sort of like you see sometimes in small shutters) a ways back in the thread..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:27 pm
What about a large sheet of Plexiglas over the window? You could either bolt it down permanently or put it on hinges so the window can still be functional.

The Plexiglas should be large enough to cover both the window and woodwork. You could put decals or a curtain on the other side of it to help diffuse the silhouette at night.
0 Replies

shreenmike

Fri 28 Oct, 2011 08:28 am
I have something to add in this that i have the allergy with polen grains and all the windows are close but bathroom windows can not be closed as you know all that.What is the solution of this issue?
Butrflynet

Fri 28 Oct, 2011 01:08 pm
@shreenmike,
Install an exhaust fan in the bathroom that exhausts moisture and odors to the outside of the building. That way you can continue to keep the bathroom window closed.
0 Replies

lucyralph

Mon 6 May, 2013 01:04 am
@boomerang,
No doubt this is costly sheet but the this looks awesome really very beautiful if you used this sheet in your bathroom than it look very awesome.
0 Replies