questions in translating a sentence

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 01:12 am
Although he wouldn't say there was a fight, I would say there was an education going on, and it got heated at times.

A single sentence translation. No context.
What is the fight? What is the education? A lesson? And the last clause is confusing. Could anyone suppose any situation where this sentence can be used?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 623 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 01:17 am
Justin In order to get you educated with english you need to start thinking for yourself. We are here to help you but not do your thinking for you.
Please tell us what you think this sentence is about.

yes an education is a lesson.
Justin Xu

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:11 am
@dadpad,
"Although he wouldn't say there was a fight, I would say there was an education going on, and it got heated at times."

I think it means that he doesn't admit that a war/a quarrel/a contest has happened, but I think a lesson has been learned (I see no sense here), and the argument between us got heated. (again no sense, no logic)

I just see no coherence in this sentence, I don't know the meaning of the fight, and though I guess education means lesson, I still cannot figure out where the lesson comes from. What does "it" refer to? I don't know. If it refers to the conflict between he and I, then why "at times" is added. It seems that the first two clauses refer to a single time not many times. And then sometimes... so confusing.

I am trying to answer the questions people encounter in their learning of English. The sentence comes from their questions posted on a web similar to this. I spent this afternoon in replying to their questions encountered in Chinese-English and English-Chinese translation. And this is the only one I don't understand and ask you. I've asked two of my classmates. They are also not sure about what it mean. It seems that you think we don't have minds to think. I feel really offended. If you don't want to answer it, just leave it. Why such kind of insulting. I really could not understand such rudeness.

I know that context is important. So in recent questions I take your advice to provide the context. If there is no context, just single sentences, I would say sorry that I have no context for the question. I do know that without a context this sentence may be difficult understand, so I asked "Could anyone suppose any situation where this sentence can be used? " I just need one situation in which I could have a better understanding of it and then I could explain this to others.

I just wonder how this website operates. Anyone who sees my question can answer it or there is a certain group that is responsible to answer all the questions posted? If my questions really give too much burden on you, please say so, and I won't ask questions any more. Just tell me the reason, please.
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
@Justin Xu,
Although he wouldn't say there was a fight, I would say there was an education going on, and it got heated at times.

============
A single sentence translation. No context.
What is the fight? What is the education? A lesson? And the last clause is confusing. Could anyone suppose any situation where this sentence can be used?

A fight doesn't have to mean that there was physical involvement, Justin. Often we use fight to mean a loud and maybe aggressive in the sense of body language.

Here, the speaker tells of another who didn't seem to want to categorize an argument as the more serious, 'fight'.

Yes, education suggests that there was a lesson being given.

An argument, any altercation that becomes 'heated' becomes more like a fight. It could easily move to physical action though, as I said, it doesn't have to.

'it' refers to the fight/argument/battle/disagreement/... .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 01:51 pm
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
I just wonder how this website operates. Anyone who sees my question can answer it or there is a certain group that is responsible to answer all the questions posted? If my questions really give too much burden on you, please say so, and I won't ask questions any more. Just tell me the reason, please.

Justin, you have to realize something here.

Most of these people have never taught ESL/EFL. They don't have the necessary grasp of the difficulties encountered by second language learners.

Many rely on old misguided notions of the rules of English. Many do give excellent advice when they rely on their native judgments, unaffected by the "teachings" they received from parents/prescriptivists.

But even honest native judgments about language are often badly colored by misconceptions about "correct"/slang/"bad language"/... .

There is also the, "we don't do homework" attitude. You just saw a variant in DadPad's response. Don't be too concerned about that for it contained a tiny measure of ignorance but it also contained a good measure of merit.

His point is that if you offer your ideas of what it means, and your ideas of what the pronoun referent is [in this case, you asked about 'it], it may give us further clues as to why you misunderstand something.

It's kinda like telling a doctor all your symptoms. In this way, the doctor can look at all the potential problems.

So don't be too upset with Dadpad. I'm sure he didn't intend rudeness. He meant well I'm sure. It's just that westerners, especially those ignorant Aussies, Smile don't pull any punches. They speak their mind/they tell it like it is/they don't stand on ceremony/... .

See all the extras [idioms/chances to understand a real life explanation with real life context] that you may have learned from just one little encounter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:19 pm
@Justin Xu,
Let's say it was a fight between husband and wife and it got heated (angry exchanges). That suggests there were some home truths blurted out and if they were sharp enough they would be taken on board. Educated.

He might, for example, resist picking his nose in public in future and not wipe croggies on the underside of the restaurant chair anymore having been educated that that sort of thing just wasn't done when she was being taken out for an anniversay dinner.
spendius

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:09 pm
@spendius,
Of course, on a lower level, it could refer to a dialectical discussion. The thesis/anti-thesis giving birth to new thesis. Education. About circumcision say or censorship.

Dialecticians do get heated but respectable ones don't admit to fighting. They might go as far as saying that the discussion was "unusually frank".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:37 pm
@Justin Xu,
Justin Xu wrote:

I can pretty well answer that part of your question. Anyone who sees the question can answer it. No one is responsible for answering any or all questions in any particular forum.

Usually, the first couple of answers are serious attempts to help. After that, they can be helpful, or maybe just silly. Most of us try to keep the Esl forum both serious and helpful, but not everyone responds to peer pressure, so you are left to guess how useful the responses are.

Beyond the context of a particular question, we also don't know where the question came from. That is, is someone using a work of fiction to improve reading skills, or has someone's instructor written a sentence that the student is required to translate? Sometimes we are presented with something that was clearly translated from one language into English which the student is supposed to understand. Some of those sentences simply do not make sense when directly translated into English.

I can see from this post and others that you are a very advanced language student. Because of that, you will sometimes ask something that most of us simply can't answer. Sorry.
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:50 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Usually, the first couple of answers are serious attempts to help. After that, they can be helpful, or maybe just silly. Most of us try to keep the Esl forum both serious and helpful, but not everyone responds to peer pressure, so you are left to guess how useful the responses are.

Since every answer is couched in language, even the 'silly ones', every answer has the potential to be as or more valuable than the answer that answers the original question.

Language give and take is invaluable to language learners.

0 Replies