What to do about the lobbyists in Washington

RexRed

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 03:24 pm
Sorry this post I have taken off topic. Here is something relevant to the topic.

Leak: Right-wing group loses big over gun law
www.msnbc.com
Ed Pilkington, U.S. chief reporter for The Guardian, talks with Rachel Maddow about what leaked documents have revealed about conservative policy group, ALEC.

http://on.msnbc.com/1iBdZIi
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 07:10 pm
Just my thoughts...

I used to hate lobbyists. I did not like the influence they peddle. I especially did not like the fact that they tend to actually write many of the laws that our "legislature" votes on. But, then I realized something...

People in Arkansas, Mississippi, California, etc vote for people to be in the legislature. Most elections are popularity contests instead of competence tests. That means we do not have the best and the brightest in Congress. However, lobbyists are very well paid and sometimes even experts in their fields... It occurred to me that the lobbyists were, in some cases, actually helping government move.

They have become a necessary evil.

That's all.
RexRed

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:25 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Just my thoughts...

I used to hate lobbyists. I did not like the influence they peddle. I especially did not like the fact that they tend to actually write many of the laws that our "legislature" votes on. But, then I realized something...

People in Arkansas, Mississippi, California, etc vote for people to be in the legislature. Most elections are popularity contests instead of competence tests. That means we do not have the best and the brightest in Congress. However, lobbyists are very well paid and sometimes even experts in their fields... It occurred to me that the lobbyists were, in some cases, actually helping government move.

They have become a necessary evil.

That's all.

I know in some ways you are right about this. That is if the middle class did not have the deck stacked against them.

I might agree with you if the 1% did not possess most of the lobbying monies...

How do the poor middle class tax payers lobby? ...and the Citizens United ruling has just made dirty energy corporate money more prevalent in how Washington works.

Corporation lobbyists (Again where most of the money is) are ruining our constitution by trying to inject hateful religion onto it. They are ruining our political legislative body by paying them off and causing them to promote their highly profitable polluting energy sources over green and practically free energy sources like wind and solar...

I could care less if I ever hear of another single bill passed to help the polluters continue to put profits over conservation and ecology.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 11:24 am
When the deer became a problem in my state they declared a hunting season. Problem solved. And it also gave the gun nuts something to do.
RexRed

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:32 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

When the deer became a problem in my state they declared a hunting season. Problem solved. And it also gave the gun nuts something to do.

Were the deer really a problems or did the gun lobbyists and sports clubs pay the local papers to print articles to make it seem that way? I am sure we have our share of deer here in Maine too...
RexRed

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 04:06 pm
Verizon has their commercials on TV about how much bigger their coverage is to their competition...

NOW THIS is a great time to slap down Verizon for being a monopoly!

Let's keep some healthy competition in the wireless market before we have another greedy conglomerate thinking they can do no wrong...

No offence to Verizon intended but much offence to their current monopolistic tactics to try and side rail their competition.

Verizon should be split up if they think they are so much bigger than their competition...
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 06:52 pm
@RexRed,
I live in a rural area and almost every day someone hits a deer. We tried everything even established deer crossing lanes. But they wont use them. I think their conservative deer. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
RexRed

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 08:52 pm
@RABEL222,
I certainly understand that deer overpopulation can be a problem.

Not sure if you saw this...

Why deer can be attracted to gas drilling sites
http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2013/11/26/why-deer-can-be-attracted-to-gas-drilling-sites/
RABEL222

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:32 pm
@RexRed,
The end of the article said something about thinking humans. I wonder where we would find those here on earth? Money trumps thinking anytime. Its illegal to put out mineral blocks in the state in which I live.
RexRed

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:11 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

The end of the article said something about thinking humans. I wonder where we would find those here on earth? Money trumps thinking anytime. Its illegal to put out mineral blocks in the state in which I live.

Some people think with their hearts, some with their wallets... It is a matter of character and ethics... The people who don't think at all may be eating tainted deer meat.
0 Replies