What can I do to help my Mom in her emotionally abusive relationship?

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:13 pm
I recently moved back in with my mom, her husband and his son about 4 months ago. In that 4 months I have witnessed my stepfather throw glass mugs, and objects towards my mom and myself. He has said to her to "go get drunk and crash the car into a tree." "Go overdose on painkillers and sleeping pills." He has called her the c u next tuesday, b****, and anything else you can think of. He use to hit her, but she tells me he hasn't in a very long time and I have not witnessed any physical fights since living here. My mom is stuck, they have been married for 6 years and has noone to turn to, she hasn't worked in about 3 years, and cannot drive.
All of the fighting takes place while my stepbrother is not in the house. He is 18years old.
I have confronted my stepdad on his behavior and he feels he has done nothing wrong, currently we are not talking but my mom is kissing his a**. He refuses to see a councelor.
How can I help my mom? I have noone myself to turn to, I have moved from place to place and do not have any friends. I am looking for work and in July I am leaving for basic training. But how can I leave my mom in a situation like this? If you have any ideas or advice please help. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Cara Mia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:30 pm
@amber622,
She won't leave unless she's ready to. I hope you have had a heart to heart talk with her about how you feel about the situation she's in. However, if she wants to stay with him, there's no way you can make her move on. You'll need to accept that and go ahead with your life plans. It is up to her to extricate herself from the situation when she's ready.
0 Replies