Help me pick a movie please

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:23 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Uh, not to criticize, seriously, but one must keep one's audience in mind.

You're suggestion Chai that this one group of nurses is monolithic and socially/culturally opposite to those who enjoy/ponder art house films is an errant projection of oneself.

Well that's the problem with movies and filmgoers isn't it. No two filmgoers are alike. Take two hypothetical nurses from this group, both might love Love, Actually but still differ widely on Eat, Pray, Love, etc....

My point is ... no matter what film is finally picked, someone to some degree will be disappointed, bored to sleep, etc. Perhaps a little exposure to something a little different, something unexpected might make the night more memorable.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:57 am
Two movies I never miss if I find they are on the telelvision is "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Cary Grant, Ramond Massey and a Hungarian Actor whose name escapes me right now. It never fails to make me laugh. The other is "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart...also a load of fun. Very old, but still hold up. Not sure the scenario could be redone in a remake, but as a "period" pieces, they are a scream.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:28 am
@glitterbag,
Two classic films? Quite an inspired and unexpected set of choices.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Uh, not to criticize, seriously, but one must keep one's audience in mind.

You're suggestion Chai that this one group of nurses is monolithic and socially/culturally opposite to those who enjoy/ponder art house films is an errant projection of oneself.

Well that's the problem with movies and filmgoers isn't it. No two filmgoers are alike. Take two hypothetical nurses from this group, both might love Love, Actually but still differ widely on Eat, Pray, Love, etc....

My point is ... no matter what film is finally picked, someone to some degree will be disappointed, bored to sleep, etc. Perhaps a little exposure to something a little different, something unexpected might make the night more memorable.

These aren't just nurses. If they were nurses, this wouldn't be much of dilema. There wouldn't be the problem of what day, what time.
Nurses, in general do not have to work 6 days a week to make ends meet, and enjoy their free time.

I am talking about gathering together a large group of people who's education level goes from GED to Masters Degree. People who make from $10/hr to $50/hr.

I'll be quite frank. Over the years, I've had to arrange numerous events/giveaways/motivational events, etc etc. Let me tell you what tends to happen.

The people who are at the lower end of earnings, lower socioeconomic status, which general equates to lower education, at quite often very suspicious as to why they are being given an opportunity to party, why they are being a chance to win something, why they are being asked to be invovled in something.

People at the other end are vastly more likely to say "cool, sounds like fun" and don't suspect some hidden agenda.

I'm not saying that the first group have no appreciation of art, theater, good food. Nor am I saying there aren't people at the other end who aren't complete boors. But I could regale you with stories of what happens when they approach a hor'dourves table supplied with small salad plates and cocktail napkins, and the food runs out less than half way through the line because so many people stacked mounds of appetizers 6 inches high on their plates.

I know, I sound ugly. I sound like I just don't understand that these are people of worth, and I'm just not giving them a chance to come forth with their talents. I'm stereotyping, profiling, whatever you want to call it.

You want to know the remarks I've gotten already when the sign up sheets were put up so I can figure out how many are coming?

"The company's doing this just so they look good"
"You're making me come and do this on my day off"
"So I have to use gas money to go the way over there (like 5 miles)?"
"What if I don't like what you're going to show?"
"Are we going to get paid to go there?"

Now I've also gotten comments that it sound fun, and they are looking forward to coming. One of the clinics about 2 hours away (I didn't include them in this group, and that area is arranging its own thing) actually said a lot of them wanted to car pool down, because they never get to go to "the city", and would it be all right if they were included?"

I'm not bitter, but I'm not surprised. This happens all the time. I'm not saying this tsar, to sound negative. I'm saying it to show you the real life of what I'm dealing with.

It'll be fun, because the negative comments above came from the people who are always negative. Who, if you gave them a platter of $100 bills, would complain because they weren't a smaller denomination.

I am being realistic tsar, in personally knowing a lot of these people, hearing what kind of entertainment they like, seeing what kind of food they eat, how they communicate, etc.

Please believe me, if a art house film was shown, yes it might spark someone's interest and intrigue them. On the whole however, the lights will come up and there would be a silent staring group of people who would want to know WTF that was all about. Some would even be angry, feeling they were being put down. The suspicious one's who are always looking for that.

I have to plan for something that will satisfy to some extent the most amounts of people.
What that boils down to is:
Something relatively new
Action/excitement/comedy
No bad language, violence, controversial subjects.

Despite all this, I'm really looking forward to the date. It really will be great. Some will be happy on arrival, some might realize once they get there we're having fun, some will just be dumb stick in the muds and complain the next day.

That's reality, and I'm not afraid to look at it, but it doesn't keep me from doing my best.
dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 08:02 pm
I bet dlowan wouldnt go to your movie. It sounds like too much fun.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:14 am
@chai2,
Don't feel bad, it happens here too. There are always the ones that complain - either they need to make a showing to look good, the food is crap, nothing different, I'd rather have the money spent on the outing. etc. And yes it is always the same ones that complain.

However, most are appreciative - it is just the complainers are louder. I do make sure I thank the organizer so they do realize that many are happy for the chance to have some fun and to get together.
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks, based on a previous post of yours in this thread, I know you "get it"

People are funny.

BTW, I started getting RSVP lists back today. Most people have no suggestions. Actually only 2 people did.

One person said "The bucket list" (which I heard of, and it sounds dreadful) or Vindictus (no idea.)
The other person said Avatar.
firefly

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 11:15 am
@chai2,
The person who suggested Vindictus (which is a video game) may have meant the movie "Invictus" which is actually a fairly good film with Morgan Freeman playing Nelson Mandela. It essentially tells the story of how Mandela used the sport of rugby to help unify a country which had been torn apart by racial tensions.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1057500/
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:06 pm
@firefly,
yeah I saw that too - that would be a good movie for the situation
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:04 pm
Now that we know a little more about the audience, I'm thinking something with a really good soundtrack...played rather loudly...
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:34 pm
@Irishk,
Why do you say that? Confused
Irishk

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:28 pm
@chai2,
Well, any crowd is going to be hard to please, actually. You can't make 'em all happy, but music is such a mood elevator, they'll at least remember that part. Plus, if you play it loudly enough, you won't be able to hear anyone complaining Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:37 am
Update

The movie/dinner event was yesterday, and it went very well. Everyone seems to have a good time.
About 160 people showed up in total.

A couple of days prior, the theater updated me on new releases they had available, and I ended up going with one of them. We all watched and enjoyed Lincoln Lawyer.
It was a good movie, Matthew McConaughy played the part well.

At the door prize drawing, the main prize, a Sony Playstation 3 Move bundle was won by a guy who has 6 kids!
dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:01 am
@chai2,
Quote:
the main prize, a Sony Playstation 3 Move bundle was won by a guy who has 6 kids!

Did it come with a bonus supply of condoms?
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:23 am
@dadpad,
He can (and does) feed 'em, so as far as I'm concerned, he can breed 'em. From my expereinces with Manny, he runs a tight ship.

I don't know if any were adopted, or if they were all from his loins.

Some friends and former neighbors had 7 kids. They didn't have much materially, but the 2 of them raised some damn fine kids, and future leaders. A Yale graduate, now a lawyer, 2 currently in college and not one on drugs or in gangs, etc.

I came from a family of 5 children. Never seems particularly large to me. Wally's the 10th of 11, and all but one has done alright. The one that struggled had a mental condition.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:41 am
Oh...something funny.

As people were arriving, I greeted them, and gave them their raffle tickets. I know just about everyone by name, so I'm saying "Hey Janice, how's it going?", "Matt, glad you could make it" etc. This one guy looked vaguely familiar. I said "I'm sorry, I forget, what facility are you with?" He told me he was with the Acutes (they do treatments in hospital settings). I don't deal with them much. He was a young, good looking guy though.

3 of the waitstaff were behind me working while I was greeting, and one of the girls came up to me and said "Excuse me. What's the "Cute Department"? I want to work there!" Laughing
Irishk

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:01 am
@chai2,
"What's the cute department?"

My first laugh of the day Laughing Thanks!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:06 pm
@chai2,
I love that series of books. Hope everyone enjoyed the movie.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:57 am
@Ticomaya,
Mouse Hunt or Jumanji...
0 Replies

royable

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:54 pm
@chai2,
Finding Neverland, Shrek, Holiday
0 Replies