EXTERIOR GRADE WOOD STAINS

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:01 am
Im having new barn doors made and installed. One is a huge equipment size door and the others are smaller sliders . These are all wood doors and will be exposed to weather. Im thibking of staining them with something that will look good and provide protection against the seasonal wether tricks we have here in South Central Pa. The barn is white but we want to keep the doors looking a natural wood tone or weathered gray.
ANY product ideas ?
Im also replacing our front door to the house. Its a new heavy mahogany door that will be under a porch roof so it wont get wet. I want to have a nice stain and varnish to protect this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,218 • Replies: 56
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
anybody? any help? (Its not homework, its my barn)
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:48 pm
@farmerman,
Bumping this up for Farmerman.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
Until someone with the expertise comes along, I found this site:

http://www.agspecialty.com/barn.htm

Quote:
Tallmans Ag Specialty Barn Paints and Primers are custom formulated for barns, fences, and outbuildings and are available in a variety of today's most popular colors.

Available in oil and latex formulas, these exterior paints are specially formulated to withstand rigid performance requirements for durability and service. Pigment ground into our barn paints makes them extremely color fast. Aluminum formula is also available

Here are their two colors within the specs you gave (not the green):

http://www.agspecialty.com/chbrn2.jpg
dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:58 pm
Whats on the existing timber? colour?
something for decking might be suitable.

I'll go look and get back to you.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's another:

Behr Barn and Fence Paint

and

Porter Paints Barn and Fence Paint
dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:05 pm
@dadpad,
http://www.cabots.com.au/exterior/deck_stain_garden.asp

This site has some pertinant info for out door painting/staining
http://www.house-painting-info.com/deck-stain.html#axzz1HxCbOHvy
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:39 am
@dadpad,
Thanks. Ive not been on the board and Im happy to receive thereponses. The new barn doors are constructed of bare wood. They look beautiful with their cross bucks . They are very heavy but are on severeal rollers and are carried nicely and can be opened and closed very easily.

Ill look at these links and see what I need. Im hoping I can apply the stuff by spray ratherthan roller or brush.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:55 am
@farmerman,
I hope that your chickens will like your motif
(and that thay will not freeze in the winters).

David
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 04:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you. My chicken (Im down to one so I have recently acquired 15 chicks and these are in a deep cow trough with electric heat lamps) They are in the part of the barn that was known as a "Tack room".

These little chicks are Auracana hens , a breed that lays eggs of several different colors.
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 04:21 am
@farmerman,
Interesting. The Auracanians are the Indians of southern South America.
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 04:45 am
@Setanta,
Im sure that someone of the human persuasion anmed the chickens. If ever anyone ever wants to raise home grown eggers, I reccomend the Auracan'a as THE breed of choice, they are docile, friendly, thrift and they produce fairly hig yields of colorful eggs of excellent quality. They also flock nicely so theres never a big concern about varmints snatcj=hing a chicken. They generally mob up and harry any varmints to distraction. Even the dogs dont screw with em.
The only problem is that these birds all seem to get the same idea at the same time, so when one wants you to feed her, they all run to you. It can be a pin if your having a cookout with the chickens in the yard.
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 04:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
They generally mob up and harry any varmints to distraction. Even the dogs dont screw with em.

That's a good description of the Indians for whom they are named, too. The Mapuche of what is now Chile, an Auracanian tribe, turned back an Inca invasion attempt, and then made life hell for the Spaniard who came along later. The leader of the Spaniards was very cruel, so they laid for him, caught him, and nailed him to a tree. The Spaniards never succeeded in conquering them. Ambrosio O'Higgins, the father of Bernardo O'Higgins who was called the liberator of Chile, bought the Spanish a half century of peace by successfully negotiating a peace with them. Unfortunately, Ambrosio's good sense did not prevail, and the Chilean government thought to exterminate the Mapuche by providing every willing settler with arms and ammunition. One hundred and eighty years and thousands of needless deaths later, the Mapuche still survive, and pretty much live the way their ancestors did, except with televisions and cell phones.

Those chooks of yours are chips off the old block.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 06:25 am
@farmerman,
I'm going to see if I can get MAB in to post on this. She's got a century farm/farmhouse on the top of a hill in the Ottawa Valley. She 'gets' weather.
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:16 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Ill look for it. Ill need to get some covering on these doors in the next few months as the weather gets warmer and drier.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:24 am
@farmerman,
I’ve no recommendation for your front door, but as for the barn, there’s a product generally used in marine environments that might work for you. I no longer have the product info and the guy who gave it to me is away this week so I can’t give you the name at this point (though I’ll ask this weekend when he’s back). I googled a bit but can’t find it.

For sure it comes in powdered form. I know that’s how he purchased it, though if memory serves, it can be bought premixed. I think. I tested some as a potential deck sealer last year (er, maybe the year before). It goes on a clear, watery consistency, dries clear and the wood initially looks untreated, but gradually weathers grey as it is exposed to sun and rain etc. just as you expect cedar to do. Supposedly lasts a life time, becoming stronger over time. Non toxic.

New wood looks so gorgeous and I can see the appeal for keeping it looking natural but I’d cry (or kill someone) if I had to paint a barn door every year. Even a clear stain would make me grumpy or worse. Apparently this stuff doesn’t need reapplication. It’s probably worth a look. I’ll try and get back to you.

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:27 am
@Joeblow,
I will keep checking in , I hope you have luck finding it. I love the look of weathered wood, it goes well with a white building and gives a natural aura to the whole thing. Course, as my wife says, if we dont like it after a few years, Ill be asked to paint the whole thing white.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:38 am
@farmerman,
Paint! Aaiiieeeeee.

No, shouldn't be a problem getting the name. I poked around the website once too, so it should be easy enough for you to research.

My buddy used it to treat the planking on his bridge. Just a small one at his cottage, thirty feet maybe (I'm hopeless at estimating). I've driven over it dozens of times.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:48 am
If you don't want to change the color of the wood, I would suggest using a good wood sealer for decks. They can be sprayed with a garden pump sprayer.

Thompson makes one
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=3

Your local Lowes or Home Depot should carry a brand of sealer.

Like any wood finish, it will need to be redone every few years.

Of you could coat the whole thing with spar varnish. But that would probably be a chore.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:01 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Thank you. My chicken (Im down to one so I have recently acquired 15 chicks and these are in a deep cow trough with electric heat lamps) They are in the part of the barn that was known as a "Tack room".

These little chicks are Auracana hens, a breed that lays eggs of several different colors.
Do u ever get any SNOW in Pa. ??
0 Replies