EXTERIOR GRADE WOOD STAINS

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 06:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I 'm surprized that the wildcats respect the property rights
(no tresspassing) qua the coop.

Its all done with construction and "Lynx limiters" which are sharp outward facing barbs that would shred a lynx trying to get into the coop. The coop itself is constructed of board and batten so theres no way the lynx can get in before all the chicken noises wake someone up and they whack the cat(or coyote)
The trael problem are weasels and martens with chicks. SO our friends raise all chicks in their pantry inside the house. Once a chicken is 8 weeks old , it can kick the **** out of a weasel.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 07:47 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
I 'm surprized that the wildcats respect the property rights
(no tresspassing) qua the coop.
farmerman wrote:
Its all done with construction and "Lynx limiters" which are sharp outward facing barbs
that would shred a lynx trying to get into the coop.
I hate to sound dense, but that seems risky for the chickons.

farmerman wrote:
The coop itself is constructed of board and batten so theres no way the lynx
can get in before all the chicken noises wake someone up and they whack the cat(or coyote)
The trael problem are weasels and martens with chicks. SO our friends raise all chicks in their pantry inside the house.
Once a chicken is 8 weeks old, it can kick the **** out of a weasel.
That 's very interesting.

I liked having them, as a kid.

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
but that seems risky for the chickons.
chickens actually can fit nicely around the barbs and arent affected at all. Oh, I suppose if there were a panic return to the coop, one could get accidentaly "impaled", but this is a ocal design that acts as a pretty good excluder
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
but that seems risky for the chickons.
chickens actually can fit nicely around the barbs and arent affected at all.
Oh, I suppose if there were a panic return to the coop, one could get accidentaly "impaled",
but this is a ocal design that acts as a pretty good excluder
Well, in NY, we don 't have much in the way of predatory animals;
altho, I have seen some racoons.

R racoons a problem ?

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
not if you dont mind the greasy taste
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
I dunno (having never consulted a racoon) but I suspect
that thay prey upon them.
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
raccoons eat eggs not chickens. A predator wants as a last thing, to sustain any kind of injury and chickens can be feisty little gals.

Down here we have a raccoon problem but I dont know about up in MAine. I know they have porcupine problems and skunk problems but , after all these years, Ive never seen a raccoon up there near our place
Joeblow

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:03 pm
@Joeblow,
I’ve been torn about letting this link get buried and bringing it up, but I don’t want to leave it without providing some follow up.

First, I posted the wrong link. I found the product on a website with links to two lab reports, and had meant to post that one, but was in a hurry that day, so posted without checking and without comment. Then, when I realised my error, I thought I might as well follow up directly with Environment Canada as penance, so I checked their website. When I couldn’t find the report on their site, I fired off a ticket to them, attempting to obtain a link should the report be authentic and to find out if additional testing had been undertaken, because the original report was dated (A Preliminary Comparative Toxicity Assessment of Materials Used in Aquatic Construction). That was two weeks ago and to date, there’s been no response. I won’t hold my breath.

I know at one point a few years back I found the product handling info on line, but I can’t remember where and now I can’t even duplicate that search, not that it matters much. As I said earlier, I thought it would be easy enough to research, but as it turns out, it wasn’t. So, all I can find is a claim akin to “ancient Chinese secrets” and it all seems like a stinking pile of BS and I’d feel bad if anybody, anywhere, took the link as a solid recommendation.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:36 pm
@Joeblow,
Im glad that youve decided to fess up and confess. Confession will release you from the burden of guilt you suffer.
However, down here, I went to ACE and they never heard of the stuff even when I printed out the clip you had. I left it with their manager with the point that I would be back soon. You just kicked in the memory banks.
I THINK I shall mosy pover to the ACE store in Quarryville tomorrow. Good Friday is a good day to seek information of this kind.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:23 am
@farmerman,
Thank you father…I feel better already. Lalala.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:18 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
raccoons eat eggs not chickens.
R 'nt thay kinda like foxes ?

How is your chickon herd coming along ?
dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 08:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How is your chickon herd coming along ?

City slicker.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:29 am
The doors are all new wood. Its been raining so much Ive not been able to paint these doors or even prep them.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:07 pm
@farmerman,
Looks like its gonna be a tinted spar varnish like that used for wooden boats. Ill use a satin , not a gloss
0 Replies

Monroe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:13 am
@Butrflynet,
Nice useful sharing guys,.
These links sites has useful information.
0 Replies

AndrewJayden

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:08 am
I will suggest you to polish; it will protect the doors as well as give a shining look.
0 Replies

Jean Baptiste

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:01 pm
Well, waterproofing is necessary for all the things especially for wood. Wood gets swollen after coming in contact with water. It is also necessary that you keep your house sealing water proof so that no doors or windows are affected by the water leaking from the walls of houses.
0 Replies