In a cute twist = in a smart change?

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:05 am

Context:

With the production line essentially running itself, most of the 185 staff are busy improving the company's sequencing technology, or liaising with customers. "We need people to interact with people, but not to interact with the DNA," says Reid.

In a cute twist, the company has even automated its reception area. When I arrived, I was greeted by a computer terminal, which asked for my name and who I had come to see. A label printer spat out a visitor badge while an email summoned Turcotte to lead me into the inner sanctum.

More:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20928053.800-where-robots-labour-to-overcome-genetic-disease.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 509 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:15 am
"in a ________ twist" refers to any unexpected circumstance--that's what the twist part means, something turned around, something twisted. So, one might say, in an unexpected twist (by far the more common usage) meaning that there was a sudden or unlooked for change. Here, the author means that the change is interesting, funny--cut not in the sense of appearance, but in the sense of entertaining.
oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Here, the author means that the change is interesting, funny--cut not in the sense of appearance, but in the sense of entertaining.

Thanks.

I think the "cut" here is the misspelling of "cute"?

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:13 am
@oristarA,
Yes, that's right.
0 Replies