which is correct? some advertisement or some advertisements?

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:19 am
Context:

The job is to audit some advertisement in A2K to ensure commercial behavior will not hurt user experience or affect any academic freedom.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 513 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:56 am
You probably want "some advertisements." If someone were to say "the job is to audit some advertisement," in the singular, it would mean that they are referring to a specific advertisement, but hadn't troubled to identify it more accurately, and there would be an implication of seeing the ad in a dismissive light. By saying some advertisements, you are saying some unspecified ads, but the statement is value neutral, and would be taken as a description of the job as planned.
oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:08 am
@Setanta,
Thanks
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
@Setanta,

The job is to audit some advertisement [in] on A2K to ensure commercial behavior will not hurt user experience or affect any academic freedom.

Quote:
You probably want "some advertisements." If someone were to say "the job is to audit some advertisement," in the singular, it would mean that they are referring to a specific advertisement, but hadn't troubled to identify it more accurately,

No, it wouldn't mean that. It might, I suppose, if there was that context. It could mean "one of the advertisments", "the one advertisement that you choose to audit".

[I'm a little puzzled as to the use here of 'audit' and 'job', Ori.]

Quote:
and there would be an implication of seeing the ad in a dismissive light.

Equally false, unless there is a context that I'm missing, which is possible.

Quote:
By saying some advertisements, you are saying some unspecified ads, but the statement is value neutral, and would be taken as a description of the job as planned.

Equally so, by saying "some advertisement [no 's'], you could be saying what I described above.
0 Replies