What types of things did cowboys do in the Old West and out west now?

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 10:18 pm
I am writing a comic book about streetfighting cats and dogs, and some of the stories take place among cowboys. I am trying to think what kinds of things did cowboys do and would cowboys do now that would be criminal, and what kinds of things cowboys do that would be heroic?

The only things that spring to mind right away are:

Robbing banks, stagecoaches and trains
detonating sides of hills to get to mines or to ore deposits
stealing people's silver and gold
stealing people's cattle and farm animals
stealing people's crops

What other criminal activities would cowboys be into?
What heroic things did cowboys do?

What other activities are typically cowboy activities?
Please help me out. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 14,402 • Replies: 46
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:42 am
@JGoldman10,
Todays cowboys probably take showers almost daily wheras a bath for the cowboys of oldd was not a routine event.

Cowboys didnt mine gold or rob banks. (Those people who did, we called miners and bank robbers respectively). Cowboy was actually a career move and many cowboys were ethnic minorities .
Today, they use Power wagons and Jeeps and they tow their horses in trailers so they have em when they really need em.

Lastly, I giess, that much beef raising is done in the EAstern and SOutheastern US.(Florida has more beef cattle than Oklahoma)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:45 am
@JGoldman10,
many cowboys of old were bisexual, not that that matters.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:54 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, but I am trying to figure out what criminal activities cowboys did in the West, and what they'd be doing now.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:01 am
@JGoldman10,
WEll, what Im saying is that . if a truck driver begins robbing banks, is he even a truck driver anymore or has he made a major career change by entering the financial system?

Im gonna go with the following conclusion
'When a cowboy robs banks, hes no longer a cowboy, hes a bank robber"

I know its simplistic but I think you need to make that distinction in your comic and the very discussion among peers sitting about a campfire having a somehwat deep discussion about thir recent carrer move into a more violent industry could be kinda funny if you do it reverently .

I dont know cause I dont have a sense of humor that Im aware of. You are more the expert on that I think.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:35 am
@farmerman,
Okay, I think the better question is, what did outlaws do in the Old West, and what do western outlaws typically do now?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:37 am
@JGoldman10,
Well, first, a western outlaw would begin his day with a complete breakfast of cereal, orange juice , and some toast and two poached eggs. Grits would be an option of course.

Glad I can help.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:38 am
@farmerman,
SO, now we need to ask ourselves," what would outlaws in the West do today that would have been different than outlaws of years gone by.?"
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:55 am
@farmerman,
If you don't know I'll ask someone else. Thank you for your input.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:02 am
@JGoldman10,
Thats ok Ill see whether I can come up with some ideas maybe dyslexia will know. Hes an old cowboy outlaw you know. Hes fouled many a bank, and depetaled many a rose.
0 Replies

farmerman

@JGoldman10,
Thats ok Ill see whether I can come up with some ideas maybe dyslexia will know. Hes an old cowboy outlaw you know. Hes fouled many a bank, defenestrated many a church ,and depetaled many a rose.
farmerman

@JGoldman10,
Thats ok Ill see whether I can come up with some ideas maybe dyslexia will know. Hes an old cowboy outlaw you know. Hes fouled many a bank, defenestrated many a church ,and depetaled many a rose.
PaddyH

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:33 am
@farmerman,
Many of them st-st-st-ammer-ed as well.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:59 pm
This is a topic better suited for a historian.

Do we have any historians and history majors in the house?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 03:00 pm
@farmerman,
The only things I know about cowboys is what I read about in book and watch in movies.
firefly

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
SO, now we need to ask ourselves," what would outlaws in the West do today that would have been different than outlaws of years gone by.?"

Text message or Tweet their hold-up notes to bank tellers?

Sell the book and movie rights to their exploits?

BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:10 pm
@firefly,
Some western outlaw in his old age went into the early movie making business but his name is not coming to me at the moment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
@firefly,
drive up to the banks in 3 black Hummers. See, I think this kind of stuff would be funny. Tweet the teller that youre on your way to rob the bank, thats cool.
Then Goldmans "street fighting cats and dogs could save the day by what?" Think Goldman, you need to put down your anger at everybody and get creative. We're trying to help you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Wyatt Earp served as a sort of consultant to severl silent films
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
I am going to start a new thread. I botched this one up. Apparenlty people here just want to post a bunch of frivilous responses.