too much “tanglefoot” aboard?

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:03 am
"The country stretched flat and bare as a table for fifty miles on either side the track,-a distance looking in the clear air not over one fifth as great. On every side this great plain was circled by mountains, the reddish-brown sides of some of them bare to the summits, while others were robed in folds of glistening snow and looked like white curtains drawn part way up the sky. The whitey-gray of the alkali-patches, the brown of the dry earth, and the rusty green of the sagebrush filled the foreground, melting in the distance into a purple-gray. The wondrous dryness and clearness of the air lent to these modest tints a tone and dazzling brilliance that surprised the eye with a revelation of possibilities never before suspected in them. But the mountains were the greatest wonder. It was as if the skies, taking pity on their nakedness, had draped their majestic shoulders in imperial purple, while at this hour the westering sun tipped their pinnacles with gilt. In the distance half a dozen sand-spouts, swiftly-moving white pillars, looking like desert genii with too much "tanglefoot" aboard, were careering about in every direction." - - - Deserted

The last sentence: "In the distance half a dozen sand-spouts, swiftly-moving white pillars, looking like desert genii with too much “tanglefoot” aboard, were careering about in every direction."

What does "too much 'tanglefoot' aboard" mean here? Does it mean a drunken ghost? Then why "aboard"? Why the quotation marks on "tanglefoot"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Francis

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:29 am
From an ESL to another:

"Tanglefoot" is a metaphor to booze, because it prevents you from walking straight.

Aboard could mean inside.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Let's see what native English speakers say...
roger

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:35 am
@Francis,
I'll wait for McTag or somebody smart. It's beyond my experience
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:32 am

Small sand tornado-like sprouts, looking like mythologicl creatures of the desert moving across a sticky surface, were leaning and tipping in every direction

(I think it's careening, not careering. Tanglewood is a sticky substance used to keep birds or insects off a surface. Not sure about the aboard)
Francis

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:53 am
@PUNKEY,
Some times it's useful to read:

Quote:
Tanglefoot - slang for cheap whiskey

Quote:
Career - verb

The car went careering off down the track.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 08:32 am
@Justin Xu,
Justin Xu wrote:

Why the quotation marks on "tanglefoot"?

Quote:
too much 'tanglefoot' aboard
loaded with too much cheap liquor
The word is in quotation marks because it's both colloquial and archaic (your original text was most probably written in the latter half of the 20th century).
0 Replies