What does this sentence mean?

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:26 am
The degree to which long-term environmental considerations are taken into account usually depends upoon the ability of environmental groups to bring their pressure to bear into the hearings,
What does" to bring their pressure to bear into to the hearings" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 717 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:32 am
Unless you provide more context for the passage including the name of the document, the authors name, and the general subject matter of the document I will not answer you queries.

I have brought "pressure to bear" on you. I have placed you under pressure. You need to decide if it is worth your time and effort to give more context.
zhanglizoe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@dadpad,
The author is Martain Lambert S.
Thanks1
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:56 pm
Some body, probably governmental, is going to hold a hearing on environmental issues. At a hearing, that body listens to the various sides present their arguments, their data, the way they view the situation, what that side thinks should be done. An environmental group (or the other side) brings pressure to bear to try to make their side win, by things like letters to the members of the body conducting the hearing, emails, visits by members of the public and experts on their side to the offices of the body, by protest demonstrations, pickets, and sit-ins, by experts and the public advocating their position on radio and TV talk shows and news programs, by books published, by getting big donors to their favorite political party to tell the people to whom they have given big contributions how they think they should vote, by convincing satirical tv shows and blog and late night talk shows to make jokes ridiculing the other side, and so on.
0 Replies