Why can't they make any African-American sitcoms now that are good?

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:33 pm
Good Times was okay despite the fact it took place in a black ghetto. Sanford and Son was good clean fun. The Jeffersons was okay, and so was 227 and Amen. The Cosby Show was good. The Fresh Prince I tolerated. Family Matters was a lot of fun. I recall some old '90s sitcom in which the man who played the father on the Fresh Prince played a lawyer and had two sons that were lawyers. I recall also watching a Different World-that was alright. Martin was alright.

These shows for the most part were good quality shows. A lot of black shows the had on in the past decade and now are just stupid. What happened? What happened to good quality programming. A lot of these newer shows are CRAP:

Girlfriends is one of the WORST shows I've ever seen
Love That Girl gets on my nerves.
There's a show about some black guy working for a gay Asian man which is STUPID.
I hate House of Payne.
Meet the Browns is okay.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 9,353 • Replies: 56
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
What about Bernie Mac and In Living Color?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bernie Mac was dumb and In Living Color was too vulgar.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
My mother likes Everybody Hates Chris.

Moesha was alright, The Parkers spin-off was ridiculous. Hughleys was dumb.

A large number of black shows being made now seem like WATERED DOWN CRAP.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:17 am
@JGoldman10,
While I agree that most of these shows are not so good, I ask you to consider some white shows. What was so good about Friends? How I Met Your Mother irritates me. Two and a Half Men is only good part of the time. Mike and Molly - not soo good.

Rock was very good.
Bernie Mac had a run of some very good episodes, although some episodes were not so good.
In Living Color was a great show. Like all comedy skit programs, they could not all be jewels.
Everybody Hates Chris is no worse than the average run of sitcoms.
Moesha had some good stories.
Cosby was as good as they get. Most people don't seem to recall that Bill had a show in which he played a high school coach. It did not stay on that many episodes, but I liked it too.
Julia was too saccharine for me.
The Nat King Cole show was very good, if you like variety shows.
Martin could be funny at times.
Flip Wilson had a great run.
Can't recall the name of Damon Wayans' show, but it was sometimes good, sometimes dull.
There are a number of these shows I have not watched and a few that were not so bad I can't remember just now.

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Back in the late 80's there was a black sitcom called "Frank's Place" about a New Orleans restaurant. It was charming, intelligent, and extremely funny. I think BET show re-runs of it now and then.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:48 am
@edgarblythe,
I like Chapelles show. He is an equal opportunity bigot so its funny. I love the stereotypes of whites that he does and also the predatory black con men who prey on the neighborhood.

The only thing that bores me on Chapelle are the musical interludes. They are usually angry rap that sounds like a bunch of douche bags complaining about their status
djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:58 am
at times there have been good white sitcoms, at times there have been good black sitcoms

i don't think there are any good sitcoms being made presently regardless of race
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:33 am
@farmerman,
Missed that one, fm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:39 am
@djjd62,
There are no "classic" sitcoms getting churned out right now, in my view, but to me a few of them are good enough to sit through, though I have never got through an entire episode of most of them. I watch The Middle, which appears to be a remix of Malcolm in the Middle, just to see the youngest son. Big Bang is stuck in neutral. **** My Dad Says must be canceled, because they moved some crap show in its place Smile I liked Two and a Half Men for a few seasons, but it has stalled. Not much to celebrate out there.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
'70s-'90s sitcoms were good for the most part because they paid attantion to quality, writing and story.

These days it seems like most people only care about churning out some crap to make a fast buck.

Why can't they make shows now that don't stereotype African-Americans?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
I hate Chappelle's show- TOO RACIST AND VULGAR.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
My Wife and Kids? Yes, it's sometimes funny.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I like Chapelles show. He is an equal opportunity bigot so its funny. I love the stereotypes of whites that he does and also the predatory black con men who prey on the neighborhood.

Chappelles show is hilarious, I wish he was still doing it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sinbad is funny-a lot of people don't like him because he is a Christian and doesn't use profanity. You don't have to cuss to be funny.

I would like to see him go back to do sitcoms.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
What are your thoughts on shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Webster and Benson?

They need to go back to making shows like the Cosby Show. They put a lot of trash on TV these days.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
Benson was great on the first show he was on. Don't remember the name of it, but Benson the series was a spinoff. It was less good then, because the character lost his edge.

Different strokes had a few moments.

Didn't think that much of Webster. The parents on Webster didn't have that spark to make it go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
Sinbad is a character actor more than funny guy. That means he needs a really good script to make me watch him.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
I like many episodes of Fresh Prince. My first impression of the show was not good, but a year or so later, I developed a liking for Will and some of the characters. I think it would have been better if the character of Carleton had been allowed to have some dignity.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 04:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
The point I am making is, shows like Cosby and Family Matters didn't portray black Americans in stereotypical black roles. They NEED to go back to making shows like these.

The new black shows they have out NOW are mostly STEREOTYPICAL TRIPE and it's OFFENSIVE.