• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 859 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:21 am
Intersting.
My judgement is colour or various shade of colour is being refered to in your passage

What colour was it?
Green
What kind of green?
Deep sea green? emerald green? green as grass?

You are aware that context is quite important when deciding what a particular passage or word may be indicating. In this case there is insufficient context.

Green may mean unripe when applied to fruit and vegetables
Green may mean "inexperienced" when applied to a new employee. He's a bit green isnt he. (A greenhorn is an inexperienced cowboy)
Green may be employed to indicate environmentally sound practices. The produce Australia produces id clean and green.

I cannot think of an example where green is used to mean fresh.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:03 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
You are aware that context is quite important when deciding what a particular passage or word may be indicating. In this case there is insufficient context.

This is oristar's besetting sin. He often quotes stuff with insufficient or no context or attribution. This unawareness of the importance of context may turn out to be an obstacle to his progress in learning English.

However I happen to know from another thread that he has been studying that advanced text, The Fifth Element...

In which Milla Jovovich looks cute in a kind of bandage...

http://www.vegasvigorish.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/leeloo-costume-500x482.jpg

Code:The Fifth Element - movie info
The Fifth Element quotes
Time Phrase
01:10:31 I don't want to go to Egypt.
01:10:37 Korben Dallas?
01:10:41 That's me.
01:10:43 Just a minute.
01:10:52 Just one more minute.
01:11:03 We'll be right back.
01:11:08 Mr Dallas!
01:11:10 We really need you. Ruby Rhod is broadcasting live.
01:11:13 He needs you for an interview.
01:11:15 - Miss? - Multipass.
01:11:21 Tell Aknot plan A flopped. Go to plan B.
01:11:26 Aliens ahead. Spread out.
01:11:38 Back-up unit, zone 1 8!
01:11:50 Mr Ruby Rhod is the biggest radio star.
01:11:53 It's a great honour to be on his talk show.
01:11:56 He's so green!

etc etc (The part quoted by oristar is about 3 minutes later)

In the context of that cinema film, "green" is invented future slang. It looks like it is intended to mean something like the (present-day) (real) slang word "cool". Just as people might say "Is he cool? He's frozen! He's icy!" or "she's so hot she's smoking!" without really thinking of literal temperatures, so the (imagined) (invented) future people say "He's so green! He's like an emerald/tree/etc", without really meaning to refer to anthing that is literally green.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:37 am
@contrex,

That's green, true green.
Thank you.

Thank you both.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:44 am
Quote:
This is oristar's besetting sin. He often quotes stuff with insufficient or no context or attribution.

As do many others who post here. I forgive sin this as i can imagine it is most difficult to know just how much information context to give.
I can accept posting a parragraph initially. if responders to the thread need more context then it can be provided later by request.
Oristar context does not just include the words surounding the particular passage. It may include the fact that this is a movie, a book, a televion news broadcast, the books title, filmed in what country but made by Hollywood. it may include the books title and subject or general premis. Etc etc.
I dont realistically expect you to provide information like that however it may be suitable to provide document titles, Author and general subject.
0 Replies