“zero-yield” =?

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:41 am
Context:

In reality, the negotiating record of the treaty is clear that all nuclear explosions (any energy yield from a self-sustaining chain reaction) are prohibited by the CTBT. The Russian government made it clear when it ratified the CTBT in 2000 that: “Qualitative modernization of nuclear weapons is only possible through full-scale and hydronuclear tests with the emission of fissile energy, the carrying out of which directly contradicts the CTBT.” In other words, the CTBT establishes a “zero-yield” worldwide prohibition on nuclear test explosions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 670 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:44 am
I thought you were a medical person. Why all these questions about weapons? The "yield" of a nuclear weapon is the amount of energy yielded (released) when it is exploded. A small weapon would be low-yield. Zero-yield means no nuclear explosions anywhere. As the quote says:

Quote:
all nuclear explosions (any energy yield from a self-sustaining chain reaction) are prohibited

You could have grasped what I told you from a careful reading of the original piece. Do not become lazy.

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:59 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I thought you were a medical person. Why all these questions about weapons?

Oh I have been discussing about Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant in an American forum for two days. It is about how to smash up a conspiracy theory involved nukes.

The other thread about weapon is from the film Five Element. Nothing special.

Thank you.
0 Replies