military action against Libya

mysteryman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
But as President, he can overrule his generals.
The military cannot get involved without his orders, so even if he did listen to his generals it was still his decision.

With it appearing that the "coalition" is already falling apart, will the US be left as the only force still doing anything, or will we leave also?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:49 am
@mysteryman,
mm, Those are all "givens." Obama is still influenced by listening to the generals.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
What was his cabinet telling him?
What was his SecState telling him?
What was the CIA telling him.

If he let his generals override everyone else, wouldnt that make him just as bad as you claim Bush was before Iraq?
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
Which generals? I think most urged caution. Here's what one said on March 1...

Quote:
Imposing a no-fly zone on Libya could lead to an all-out war, a senior U.S. military figure warned today.

America and Britain have been discussing closing the skies above the crisis-torn country to prevent Moammar Gaddaffi carrying out air strikes on opposition forces.

But General James Mattis, commander of U.S. Central Command, said today: ‘It would be a military operation – it wouldn’t be just telling people not to fly airplanes.

'You would have to remove air defence capability in order to establish a no-fly zone, so no illusions here.'

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Good news for Obama is that the vast majority of Americans support his actions in polling
The numbers have been all over the place, you should take no comfort in them until they firm up...
Quote:
For us opinion poll junkies, it's the logical gaps and inconsistencies that are most revealing. In a CNN poll released on March 21, 70% of Americans favor imposing a no-fly zone in Libya. When CNN last polled, on March 11 - 13, only 56% approved. How to explain that jump in just one week?

Here's my guess: A week ago fully 14% of respondents said they had "never heard of" Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi! By now, you can bet nearly all of them have heard of Gaddafi. And what they've heard is hardly complimentary. Add those 14% to last week's 56% who wanted a no-fly zone, and you've got exactly this week's 70%.

If the Pew Research Center finds anything like 70% support for the no-fly zone in its next poll, that will be a much bigger change in public opinion than what CNN found. In Pew's poll taken March 10-13, only 44% supported a no-fly zone. But speaking of logical inconsistencies, in that same poll a paltry 16% approved of "bombing Libyan air defenses." So nearly two-thirds of those who supported a "no-fly zone" had no idea what the term means. They wanted to do the impossible: impose a no-fly zone without bombing air defenses. There's no reason to think the CNN sampling, which gave higher support for the no-fly zone, was any better informed.

It's not news to discover that the public is ill-informed and illogical. It would be something new, though, to understand what does shape public opinion. As a historian of religions, my answer is summed up in a single word: myth.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ira-chernus/the-mythic-lure-of-the-no_b_838747.html

You should also take note that according to one poll 70% of Germans want Germany to take part, yet their leader has decided to go the other way. One has to wonder about why Merkel, who's party is in political trouble, feels so free to disregard public opinion and also to let down the major long term alies of France and the US.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The numbers have been all over the place, you should take no comfort in them until they firm up...

I haven't seen polls that are 'all over the place.' Not saying you are necessarily wrong, but I'd have to ask you to provide evidence, because you have a bad habit of lying.

Quote:

You should also take note that according to one poll 70% of Germans want Germany to take part, yet their leader has decided to go the other way. One has to wonder about why Merkel, who's party is in political trouble, feels so free to disregard public opinion and also to let down the major long term alies of France and the US.

I don't give a **** about Merkel or the Germans at all; their actions are immaterial to the discussion. Don't let that get in the way of your doom-and-gloom tho.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
Interesting stuff...say what you will about the Israelis, they do tend to understand arabs fairly well and should be listened to on this subject...
Quote:
BUT THE central problem with the intervention in Libya is its lack of a goal. It is not about killing Gaddafi: US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said it would be “unwise” to kill him, and UK Gen.

Sir David Roberts claims his country hasn’t targeted him because the UN does not permit such action.

It is not about helping the rebels: Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, has said there could very well be a stalemate in the aftermath of air strikes, and both President Barack Obama and British MPs have said there are no plans for ground troops. Justin Crump, a contributor to Al Jazeera on military affairs, correctly notes that airpower is not a panacea, and will almost certainly not be enough to tip the balance against Gaddafi.

The rebels seem incompetent. So unless the world is incredibly lucky, intervention there seems to be a recipe for a big mess. Unending conflict in Libya is not in the interest of anyone. With uncertainty already casting a pall over Egypt, Tunisia and increasingly over Yemen, Syria and Bahrain, and chaos having given rise to Hezbollah and Hamas in Lebanon and Gaza, it can’t possibly be good to have a long stalemate in Libya which, until a few months ago, had the highest GDP per capita in North Africa, at around $14,000 (Israel’s is $29,000). Egypt and Morocco were less than half that.

Plunging a relatively wealthy country back into the dark ages, akin to Saddam’s Iraq between 1985 and 2005, is not good either. And getting Libyans hooked on foreign aid, like Kosovo, East Timor, Haiti, Gaza and some African countries, will also spell trouble.

The dish being prepared in Libya needs to be tossed out in favor of a more positive future.

The writer has a PhD from Hebrew University, and is a fellow at the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/Article.aspx?id=213348
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:12 pm
@mysteryman,
I thought the generals were going the other way, advising against intervention, and it was the political class calling for us to "do something".
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
but I'd have to ask you to provide evidence, because you have a bad habit of lying.
It was in the quote and the link......try reading next time, as it helps the process of communication along immensely..
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:14 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I thought the generals were going the other way, advising against intervention
In very strong terms none the less...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
but I'd have to ask you to provide evidence, because you have a bad habit of lying.
It was in the quote and the link......try reading next time, as it helps the process of communication along immensely..

Maybe next time you should post the correct passage with your post, instead of screwing up and including the text from the Jpost by mistake. Which you did and then went back and fixed after I made my post. You posted the wrong link the first time as well.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Maybe next time you should post the correct passage with your post, instead of screwing up and including the text from the Jpost by mistake. Which you did and then went back and fixed after I made my post. You posted the wrong link the first time as well
True, my apologies.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are grasping at straws in an all-too-obvious attempt to defend the indefensible and blame everyone else for what the administration has said and done.

I can sympathize with Obama's situation and the caution that led him to temporize. However, he has made the serious error of remaining ambiguous in a situation that no longer permitted it. Now he (and we) are being driven by events and can no longer control the terms of our engagement.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You are grasping at straws in an all-too-obvious attempt to defend the indefensible and blame everyone else for what the administration has said and done.

No, I'm not! I've consistently maintained from the very beginning that this operation was a mistake and that I felt it would end badly. Every one of my statements on the subject has been clear on this. And I have always maintained, with Bush and now Obama, that the Buck Stops at the Top. The Prez is responsible for what is going on right now.

That has nothing to do with the hypocrisy of his critics, at all. The two issues are completely separate, yet you are trying to conflate them here. Don't do that.

Quote:
I can sympathize with Obama's situation and the caution that led him to temporize. However, he has made the serious error of remaining ambiguous in a situation that no longer permitted it. Now he (and we) are being driven by events and can no longer control the terms of our engagement.

We were driven by these events from the very beginning, and the idea that intervention a week earlier would have changed that in any way is a foolish one.

Answer a question for me: are you not prepared to criticize Obama on this no matter what happens? Do you feel that Republican politicians and media members are going to criticize him no matter what happens?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I totally agree with this, but it doesn't speak to my point at all. Republicans have been very critical of this effort, in large part because they are going to criticize ANYTHING that Obama decides to do. And they feel free to criticize whatever choice he makes, no matter what they previously said.
In effect you are saying you know their motives & intentions (you don't) and they are all both bad and deceptice. All their criticisms are categorically wrong and should be ingnored. Would you also say this of Democrat criticisms of President Bush? If not what accounts for the huge difference?

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Good news for Obama is that the vast majority of Americans support his actions in polling. Bad news is that there's no clear endgame. His only real hope of salvaging our involvement in this is to make sure we do not in fact deploy ground troops.

Cycloptichorn
A remarkable conclusion with respect to a very volatile and fast-changing matter. Moreover you have presented no evidence to support your categorical assertion. The observable fact is there is great uncertainty and anxiety out there concerning the trajectory of events and the confusion and evasion evident in the Administration's statements regarding it and our intentions. Obama has been clear only on what we will not do, and evasive about what we will do or what goals we are seeking. This has dispirited our allies and emboldened Ghadaffi. Public unease and discord among our own political figures and our allies are the preddictable result. Both are increasing daily. Obama increasingly appears feckless, weak and uncertain. Deserved or not this is likely to be very damaging to him. Attempting to blame it on Gingrich is merely childish.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In effect you are saying you know their motives & intentions (you don't) and they are all both bad and deceptice.

Don't tell me what I don't know! I've watched Republican politicians lie with abandon for my entire adult life, George. Every single leader in your party and media regularly states falsehoods and intentionally attempts to deceive voters, on every single issue they speak about. Every one. It's a critical part of the Republican electoral strategy.

I hardly expect you to agree and really don't care if you do. You have a vested interest in protecting your party's leadership and can't be relied upon to make objective judgments about them. What more, I could post evidence all day - including today, when Boehner and McConnell lied with abandon regarding the HC Reform, in separate opinion pieces - but you don't care about evidence either, so why should I bother?

You aren't able to meaningfully defend the flip-flops of your own party's leaders on this issue, so instead you turn to attacking me. You don't even address what I've brought up in the slightest. I don't think anyone here is deceived by your attempt, however.

Quote:
A remarkable conclusion with respect to a very volatile and fast-changing matter. Moreover you have presented no evidence to support your categorical assertion.

My statement regarding public opinion on the matter is based on polling data. My judgment as to the future is mine alone.

The rest of your paragraph is boring.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:55 pm
@Irishk,
Irish, That's the first time I've seen that caution from the generals. I've relied on what they've been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan; that's a 180 degree turn-around from their previous stance on "staying," and what Obama has been saying about getting advise from the generals to make his decision.

I was wrong; I shouldn't assume from past performance and what Obama's been saying in the past. Especially from Obama's adding 30,000 more troops in Afghanistan which I also challenged as expanding the war in the Middle East.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

We were driven by these events from the very beginning, and the idea that intervention a week earlier would have changed that in any way is a foolish one.
One is driven by events only if he allows it. Early in this game there appeared to be a chance the Ghadaffi would be swept away in the same way as was Mubarick. There were serious limitations on our ability to do that because we had no forces available on scene. Despite that we saw lots of folks (Msolga is but an example) exprressing understandable concern about the tyrant's reaction and the need for quick action by the international community. It was Obama who had argued the necessity of formal action by the UN and extensive coordination with allies; now it appears that this process consumed the time during which the "intervention light" he is willing to undertake would likely be effective. Since it was he who established both constraints, he bears the responsibility for the direct (and predictable) consequences of them.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Answer a question for me: are you not prepared to criticize Obama on this no matter what happens? Do you feel that Republican politicians and media members are going to criticize him no matter what happens?

Cycloptichorn

No, I am not inclined to criticize Obama "no matter what happens". Indeed my statements about him have been both reasoned and pretty impartial. I agree that the media and his political opponents are more likely to criticize things he says and does when they can than praise him when that is deserved, because that is what makes news and political advantage. Are you suggesting the Democrats or the media (or you) behaved any differently when G.W. Bush was President?

Frankly you sound rather silly in all this.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It was Obama who had argued the necessity of formal action by the UN and extensive coordination with allies; now it appears that this process consumed the time during which the "intervention light" he is willing to undertake would likely be effective.

Your argument relies on the assertion that the above is true; that intervening earlier would have led to any different result than what we see right now. Upon what evidence do you base this assertion? I certainly can't figure out how you came to this conclusion, as the ground forces would still be a mess there and Qadaffi won't be stopped without them.

Besides; if we didn't have any forces on-scene, how the hell would we have been able to mount a cohesive offensive? You are criticizing Obama for not moving faster, but would that have even been possible?

I'm not interested in your judgment of whether or not I'm 'silly' on this one. You have managed to consistently avoid defending the fact that your political and media leaders have been talking out both sides of their mouths on this issue, and it's not surprising to see why: it's indefensible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
In effect you are saying you know their motives & intentions (you don't) and they are all both bad and deceptice.

Don't tell me what I don't know! I've watched Republican politicians lie with abandon for my entire adult life, George. Every single leader in your party and media regularly states falsehoods and intentionally attempts to deceive voters, on every single issue they speak about. Every one. It's a critical part of the Republican electoral strategy.

I hardly expect you to agree and really don't care if you do. You have a vested interest in protecting your party's leadership and can't be relied upon to make objective judgments about them. What more, I could post evidence all day - including today, when Boehner and McConnell lied with abandon regarding the HC Reform, in separate opinion pieces - but you don't care about evidence either, so why should I bother?

You aren't able to meaningfully defend the flip-flops of your own party's leaders on this issue, so instead you turn to attacking me. You don't even address what I've brought up in the slightest. I don't think anyone here is deceived by your attempt, however.

Quote:
A remarkable conclusion with respect to a very volatile and fast-changing matter. Moreover you have presented no evidence to support your categorical assertion.

My statement regarding public opinion on the matter is based on polling data. My judgment as to the future is mine alone.

The rest of your paragraph is boring.

Cycloptichorn

Laughing You appear to be losing control of yourself.

More tiresome suggestions that you know the inner motives of others, while they can't possibly know yours. More tiresome assertions that you have or can provide proofs of your wild assertions - proofs that you never get around to providing. More tiresome accusations of evil intent and conspiracy on the part of all who don't hold your prejudices. More whining accusations that you are "being attacked" by those who merely express disagreement and even offer explanations for that disagreement.

Grow up.