military action against Libya

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@Irishk,
That is pure insanity. Obama has lost it, it that's true.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@Irishk,
Uh, is it just me, or are those 'ground forces?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:18 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That is pure insanity. Obama has lost it, it that's true.

Ah - I read in this article that this is a Harrier support group. They may not be 'on the ground' at all.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'd love to know what those guys from the 26th were thinking..."Yay, we're going home...oops, not so much!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That's a lot better. By the way Cyclo, the rationale for this operation was never, at least overtly, to militarily support the rebels. The only official rationale was to protect civilians.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's a lot better. By the way Cyclo, the rationale for this operation was never, at least overtly, to militarily support the rebels. The only official rationale was to protect civilians.

In perpetuity? Without defeating Qadaffi's ability to wage war against them, we will be locked in a never-ending protection effort. And without some sort of ground forces, it's difficult to see how his ability to wage war can be defeated.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
And without some sort of ground forces, it's difficult to see how his ability to wage war can be defeated.
Considering that the price of an Army is $1,000 per man per day, and Qaddafi has plenty of cash on hand to pay the price.....ya.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe one of the colonel's own will turn on him. I remember reading that Saddam wouldn't allow his bodyguards to carry weapons due to his paranoia (supposedly there are photos of them accompanying him on various outings with empty holsters).
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I asked that question at the very beginning--it was rhetorical, i didn't expect there to be an answer from anyone herer. You shouldn't expect an answer from me, either. However, it would be possible to degrade his military abilities to the point at which the rebels in Benghazi can defend themselves--but that would involve targeting his armor and taking out his war planes and helicopters. In a situation like that, Masratah is fucked--which they likely are anyway. As O'George and i have been discussing, the greatest value of this exercise would be to sap the morale of his troops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:50 am
@Irishk,
More than that, Hussein rotated the commanders of armored units so that they could not form a conspiracy against, and so that they couldn't build up personal loyalty with their troops. The most noticeable outcome of that, though, was the incompetence of the command and control of his armored units when it did come to war.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Ah - I read in this article that this is a Harrier support group. They may not be 'on the ground' at all.

Cycloptichorn

A Marine MEU and the ships that go with it comprise about 2300 ground troops (a large battalion) ; logistics & command support; a large helo squadron, sometimes including Harrier aircraft, all embarked on ships designed to support them and an amphibious operation - including a helo/Harrier carrier. It is the smallest sized 'standard' Marine expiditionary unit. Sending them to the Mediterranean early in this situation is not particularly unusual, and, as I interpret things, may merely be a prudent precaution in case we have to extract someone from Libya or do something like that. Their aircraft capability, though relatively short range, could be very useful in a country like Libya with so much of its infrastructure immediately along its long coastline - more or less as Cyclo infersd.

I think it is too early to conclude that President Obama has "lost it" or has no coherent plan at all. However, it is clear that he (and we) are being drawn into something we can't readily control and that was (1) started too late; (2) is far too rhetorically qualified and limited to scare a tyrant with no where else to go; (3) fails to address the fact that this is the responsibility of the Arab nations themselves - not ours; and finally (4) is a major distraction from other more important issues.

The willingness of France and the UK to take action is, in many respects, admirable (certainly more so than Germany's reluctance to get involved), though perhaps not well thought through.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:02 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

A Marine MEU and the ships that go with it comprise about 2300 ground troops (a large battalion) ; logistics & command support; a large helo squadron, sometimes including Harrier aircraft, all embarked on ships designed to support them and an amphibious operation - including a helo/Harrier carrier. It is the smallest sized 'standard' Marine expiditionary unit. Sending them to the Mediterranean early in this situation is not particularly unusual, and, as I interpret things, may merely be a prudent precaution in case we have to extract someone from Libya or do something like that. Their aircraft capability, though relatively short range, could be very useful in a country like Libya with so much of its infrastructure immediately along its long coastline - more or less as Cyclo infersd.

I think it is too early to conclude that President Obama has "lost it" or has no coherent plan at all. However, it is clear that he (and we) are being drawn into something we can't readily control and that was (1) started too late; (2) far too rhetorically qualified and limited to scare a tyrant with no where else to go; (3) fails to address the fact that this is the responsibility of the Arab nations themselves - not ours; and finally (4) is a major distraction from other more important issues.

I agree with all your points except for #1. If the whole thing was a bad idea, we certainly didn't start making mistkes too late.

I think point #1 is just a way for Republicans who were calling for an attack to continue to criticize him, even though he basically did what they wanted.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:12 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
is a major distraction from other more important issues.
that is quite the understatement, as Gaddafi is not by any stretch of the imagination a threat to US security.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I agree with all your points except for #1. If the whole thing was a bad idea, we certainly didn't start making mistkes too late.
No, you are thinking categorically again and wrong. It is at least possible that if started sooner the effort might have succeeded in evicting Ghadaffi. That is a very different outcome from what it now appears we will get,

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I think point #1 is just a way for Republicans who were calling for an attack to continue to criticize him, even though he basically did what they wanted.

Cycloptichorn

A very weak and laughable rationalization. Obama did what he chose to do, and he is responsible for those choices. There were both Republican and Democrat voices urging more action and others from both sources urging less. Indeed there were prominent but discordant hawkish and dovish voices within his own administration. If our purpose, strategy and goals appear muddled that is because he has presented them that way and the actions we have taken leave doubt and speculation about all these matters.
parados

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It certainly raises questions about someone that would argue
It's a bad idea to jump off the cliff but we should have jumped off it a long time ago.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:28 am
And now evidently the Germans are backing out because they don't see any long-term US leadership and don't want their troops drawn into the battle under the control of NATO. source

This bodes poorly for success but failure is the foregone outcome of a war/police action run by an international coalition without a strong leader. I think we'll soon see if Obama really has a spine for this conflict when no other leader steps forward to take the reins from him.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The analysis I saw said that this was pushed by the liberal wing of the policy making apparatus....Hillary et Al...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:37 am
@engineer,
engineer, You got that spot on! One would think that an intelligent guy like Obama would know better than to get involved in the Middle East, but I think he listens too much to generals who has a bias for wars.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:41 am
@slkshock7,
Quote:
And now evidently the Germans are backing out
The Germans were never in it enough to say that they are backing out. Germany did not approve the UN proposal for the military action to begin with...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:44 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

A very weak and laughable rationalization. Obama did what he chose to do, and he is responsible for those choices. There were both Republican and Democrat voices urging more action and others from both sources urging less.

I totally agree with this, but it doesn't speak to my point at all. Republicans have been very critical of this effort, in large part because they are going to criticize ANYTHING that Obama decides to do. And they feel free to criticize whatever choice he makes, no matter what they previously said.

Just as an example, Newt Gingrich on this action today:

Quote:
"I would not have intervened. I think there were a lot of other ways to affect Qaddafi. I think there are a lot of other allies in the region we could have worked with. I would not have used American and European forces."

Newt on this topic two weeks ago:

Quote:
, "Exercise a no-fly zone this evening.... All we have to say is that we think that slaughtering your own citizens is unacceptable and that we're intervening."

Prominent Republicans are talking out both sides of their mouths on this one - not that you really care.

Good news for Obama is that the vast majority of Americans support his actions in polling. Bad news is that there's no clear endgame. His only real hope of salvaging our involvement in this is to make sure we do not in fact deploy ground troops.

Cycloptichorn