military action against Libya

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Kearsarge was specifically built to transport marines and serve as an amphibious assault ship.
The Ospreys are marine aircraft also.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:37 pm
@mysteryman,
Well, I do know a bit that. (Though I wasn't more than the chief navigation officer of a LCU squadron Wink )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:47 pm
@mysteryman,
I take that as questionable if so, in this case. We are then participating as an enemy force to the Gaddafi troops, instead of immediate preventers of obliteration of civilians.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks . I needed a catch-up.....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:44 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The Shi'ites want to ban lingerie displays in shop windows
But thats the only reason I go shopping.....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:46 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
In this case, it was the US Marines that went in and rescued the downed pilot.
I was under the impression they had been doing it since Vietnam ? Are there many cases where they dont ?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:11 pm
@mysteryman,
Really? In these conditions? They are already leaving.

I think of that as brutality.

Advancing again as another situation.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:44 pm
It's not a war, war...

White House to Hill: We're Not at War

Quote:
White House officials told Democratic and Republican congressional aides Tuesday that the U.S. is not at war with Libya and, without laying out a timeline, that the president hopes to hand over control of coalition military operations in the next few days.

Aides in attendance said the administration didn’t shed much new light on the situation.

“You learn more by having read the paper,” one said…

When asked, White House officials told congressional aides that the United States is not at war with Libya, sources told POLITICO.

In addition, administration officials emphasized that the president plans to hand over control to the coalition and that the actions taken by the president are in compliance with the War Powers Act.

Irishk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:46 pm
More on the non-war...

Who's in charge? Germans pull forces out of NATO as Libyan coalition falls apart

~Tensions with Britain as Gates rebukes UK government over suggestion Gaddafi could be assassinated

~French propose a new political 'committee' to oversee operations

~Germany pulls equipment out of NATO coalition over disagreement over campaign's direction

~Italians accuse French of backing NATO in exchange for oil contracts

~No-fly zone called into question after first wave of strikes 'neutralises' Libyan military machine

~U.K. ministers say war could last '30 years'

~Italy to 'take back control' of bases used by allies unless NATO leadership put in charge of the mission

~Russians tell U.S. to stop bombing in order to protect civilians - calls bombing a 'crusade'
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
In this case, it was the US Marines that went in and rescued the downed pilot.

I was under the impression they had been doing it since Vietnam ? Are there many cases where they dont ?

I have no information on who did it this time, but usually it is these guys who do it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Pararescue
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:52 pm
@Irishk,
<don't get me going>

We can't manage to build up or rebuild our own infrastructure, or figure out better ways to secure our rivers and fields as healthy, or give our people health or education - arguable but pretty much true - but we use our military/industrial very corporate complex exercising our questionable and questionably wise authority all over the world.

This is basically bizarre.
Irishk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Today on CNN, Wolf Blitzer said the U.S. has frozen $30B of the bad colonel's assets and that we should think about deducting the cost of this (non) war from that or alternatively send the taxpayers of Libya a bill for our services.

Blitzer/2012!!
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:02 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
Today on CNN, Wolf Blitzer said the U.S. has frozen $30B of the bad colonel's assets and that we should think about deducting the cost of this (non) war from that or alternatively send the taxpayers of Libya a bill for our services.

Blitzer/2012!!
does international law support that action? Think carefully, you conservatives are advertised to be on the side of law and order.
Irishk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think Wolf's an Independent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

I get his point, though we are probably have different views otherwise (or maybe not, I don't know).
People don't like drones, etc., coming at them by people from far away.

????????

What was so hard about my observation (re Renaldo Dubois)? No matter my views, if I had drones coming at my country, by other forces, I would get enraged, as the man or woman on the street.

The US forces have seemed about forever oblivious.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:48 pm
@oralloy,
Thanks for the ref...interesting reading....I still think most of the rescues in North Vietnam were undertaken by Marines as they were a lot closer to the downed pilot . Do you know any more on this ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:34 am
I believe the technical term here is a cluster ****.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:52 am
Given that this is ostensibly a no-fly zone for all but humanitarian fligths, where are the humanitarian flights? Does anyone know of any flights to bring relief supplies into Tobruk or Benghazi?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:01 am
@Setanta,
As far as I know, they stopped when the attacks started - at least those by Red Cross (and similar) organisations. [Two planes from our local airport were due to start last weekend - that was cancelled due to this.]
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:52 am

US Effort in Libya Costs Hundreds of Millions so Far $$$$