the slim = ? (in the picture)

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:01 am
loop = ?

Context:

http://images.sciencedaily.com/2011/03/110315130138-large.jpg

In this representation, the newly determined structure of the A2A receptor for adenosine is shown surrounding its synthetic agonist, a molecule that turns on the receptor. The spiral shapes and the slim connecting loops represent the receptor protein, winding back and forth through the cell membrane. The central (red) part of the agonist is critical for activation of the receptor. The top (tan-colored) part of the agonist, facing the outside of the cell, acts like arms to fill much of the remaining space in the binding site and stabilize the receptor, in order to obtain a crystallized structure. (Credit: Francesca Deflorian, Ph.D., NIDDK, NIH)[img][/img]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 498 • Replies: 3
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:27 am
I think the "connecting loops " are "slim". Am I on the right track?

But I see no loop there Drunk
dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:26 pm
@oristarA,
Yes the "connecting loops" are what is being refered to as "slim"

At the top of the orange spiral is one of the connecting "loops". It connects the orange spiral to the ?cell? ( i dont know what that is).
A loop does not necessarily have to be a full circle, as long as it curves somewhat and connects two points together it could be described as a connecting loop.

additional usage
Keeping someone "in the loop" means keeeping someon informed and up to date with current information.
Loopy means mad, crazy, mentally deficcient. silly.
Oristar is a bit loopy. (Oristar is silly/ crazy /mentally unstable).
oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:57 am
@dadpad,
Thank you.
0 Replies