It = ?

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:06 am
Context:

If you ask my grandfather about this. His response would be "Any survivors? Yes?? Damn.." As a WWII vet I do not blame him at all for his attitude about this. I, personally, wish it would had been on the other side of Japan and taken out North Korea completely. At least Mother Nature would be helping the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 446 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:25 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context:

If you ask my grandfather about this. His response would be "Any survivors? Yes?? Damn.." As a WWII vet I do not blame him at all for his attitude about this. I, personally, wish it would had been on the other side of Japan and taken out North Korea completely. At least Mother Nature would be helping the world.

It is not identified within the quoted words.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:37 am
Ori - you know better than to ask a question like this!! How can we possibly know what "it" means?

What is the context?

"it" could be the recent tsunami that hit Japan.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:40 am
"It" refers to "this" at the end of the first sentences. Since you didn't supply us with the context for that, that's the best answer i can give you.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:42 am
@oristarA,
I've heard this elsewhere, so even though you don't provide enough material to say definitively, this is referring to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. There is a certain segment of the population of the US that feels animosity towards the Japanese from WWII.
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:25 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I've heard this elsewhere, so even though you don't provide enough material to say definitively, this is referring to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. There is a certain segment of the population of the US that feels animosity towards the Japanese from WWII.

Yes, the context is talking about the Japan earthquake.

Thank you all for replying.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:29 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Some of them have GOOD REASON for it,
qua personal losses to Japanese cruelty.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:30 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
wish it would [had] have been
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:33 am
@JTT,
Not my fault.
But thank you.

----------------------------------------------------
The topic (the context) "What some Americans think about Japanese earthquake/tsunami" is ongoing in neowin.net:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/981932-what-some-americans-think-about-japanese-earthquaketsunami/
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:37 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Not my fault.
But thank you.
The Earthquake, or World War II ?
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Not my fault.
But thank you.
The Earthquake, or World War II ?

The topic:
Japan hit by huge earthquake, tsunami

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Japan-hit-huge-earthquake-tsunami/ss/events/wl/031111japanquake
0 Replies