The preposition?

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 03:09 am
The preposition of the clause " that copy genes into RNA messages" is " regulatory proteins and enzymes "?
That is:
"regulatory proteins and enzymes that copy genes into RNA messages" = "regulatory proteins that copy genes into RNA messages and enzymes that copy genes into RNA messages"?

Context:
Histones are proteins found in the nucleus that package and order DNA into structural units. Changes to these epigenetic structures alter how DNA folds in chromosomes, making genes less or more accessible to regulatory proteins and enzymes that copy genes into RNA messages.
More:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110310141418.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 454 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
"regulatory proteins that copy genes into RNA messages and enzymes that copy genes into RNA messages"?

that = pronoun referring back to regulatory proteins.

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:18 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

"regulatory proteins that copy genes into RNA messages and enzymes that copy genes into RNA messages"?

that = pronoun referring back to regulatory proteins.

Enzymes are not included, despite they are immediately followed by the word "that"?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:58 am
. . . accessible to regulatory( proteins and enzymes) that copy genes into RNA messages.

or

. . .accessible to regulatory proteins and (enzymes )that copy genes into RNA messages.

I see what you mean: is it proteins and enzymes that copy or is it just proteins that copy.

I really don't know. The entire context would give more clue. I suspect they are talking about both.

oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:28 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you.

0 Replies