Expand the time frame?

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 02:14 am
This is from a speech about the nuclear cooperation programe between China and U.S. I can't understand the last sentence in this paragraph.
"And why is that important and why do we think that pays dividend to both our Chinese and U.S. stakeholders? Let me kind of give you the final conclusion. And that is, the technology -- that the infrastructure that's being delivered in China by the AP1000 -- and it's technology that's being embedded in that country -- increases both the sharing of experiences, the quality of life, the ability to provide not only the power for those countries, but that the Chinese personnel and companies that are
supporting it are able to have an outlook for export and for industrial development that is broader -- that actually expands the timeframe of the plant's construction."

What does the speaker mean by saying "expands the tme frame of the plant's construction"? Does it mean that it takes a longer time to build a nuclear power plant? In the previous paragraphs, he once mentioned that by using the latest technique we could actually reduce the time to construct a plant. So I find the last sentence very confusing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 506 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:01 am
the Chinese personnel and companies / are able / to have / outlook

for / export and industrial development

that / is / broader . . .and . . expands / timeframe

Here, "that" refers back to "development"

(If you learn how to diagram sentences, these things will be more clear for you.

Speeches, conversation, interviews and quotes are difficult to figure out because they are often just phrases strung together)

Justin Xu

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:44 am
@PUNKEY,
Then why development would expand the timeframe of the plant's construction? I think it would shorten the time.
0 Replies