Owsley Dead in Car Crash

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:02 pm
Psychedelic icon Owsley Stanley dies in Australia

Reuters - Owsley "Bear" Stanley, a 1960s counterculture figure who flooded the flower power scene with LSD and was an early benefactor of the Grateful Dead, died in a car crash in his adopted home country of Australia on Sunday, his family said. He was believed to be 76.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,166 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:04 pm
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
I must have been preoccupied . I dont even know who this guy is?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:28 pm
Yebbut, was he stoned at the time?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
Owsley "Bear" Stanley, who got countless people turned on to the psychedelic experience in the mid-1960s with LSD produced in his Bay Area lab, died in a car crash on Sunday near his home in north Queensland, Australia, according to a Reuters report.

Stanley served as the Grateful Dead's sound man for several years and was largely responsible for the massive Wall of Sound amplification setup the band used in the mid-'70s. He also chronicled the Dead's live shows; the album History of the Grateful Dead, Vol. 1 (Bear's Choice) was released on Warner Bros. Records in 1973 as a tribute to the band's original keyboardist Ron "Pigpen" McKernan.

The incident was Tweeted by John Perry Barlow, Grateful Dead lyricist and Wyoming rancher, who referred to Stanley as an "Acid King, Annealer of the Grateful Dead, & Master Crank" who died "with his boots on."

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:01 pm
Interesting guy. I think I first heard of him in Tom Wolfe's Electric Acid Kool Aid Test
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:19 pm
Obituary in the national paper reported his occupation as Drug producer and sound engineer
0 Replies