What is the answer for bullying?

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
I think cyber-bullying is on the rise. Especially in middle school where narcissism, isolation, detachment and lack of compassion is really revealed. Girls are the worst.

It is "safer" to do, anonymous, exciting and done with a click. That is a big thrill.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 09:07 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
It is "safer" to do, anonymous, exciting and done with a click. That is a big thrill.
The primary tech communication channels that kids use are not anonymous...this claim of a great wave of cyber bullying is mostly fear mongering, it has more to do with the guilt and insecurities of the people spreading it than it has to do with reality. A lot of this stuff that parents get upset about is stuff that they did when they were kids, that kids have always done with each other, but tech saves all of this communication and throws it in our face were normally we would never know about it. Memory is not honest, we tend to promote the history that we like over the history that we dont, but even now if we were to try to remember we would have to admit that a lot of the stuff that our kids do that we dont like or that scares us we did ourselves as kids.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
@gungasnake,
I'd be interested to know how "sissy" was defined.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:29 pm
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:31 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Victim of school bullying a web hero
Bruce McDougall -- The Daily Telegraph -- March 16, 2011 3:18AM

http://imm.io/media/4n/4nQp.png

A Sydney schoolboy has become an internet sensation after video emerged of him body-slamming another student during a verbal and physical attack, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Striking back for bullying victims everywhere, the Year 10 boy - who pleaded with his tormenter to leave him alone - picked up his attacker and slammed him to the ground.

The teenager, said to have been bullied all his school life, was backed up against a wall, taunted and punched by a younger, smaller boy.

The victim, identified on Facebook as Casey Heynes, took a hit to the face and then more blows as the Year 7 boy goaded him to fight.

Suddenly Casey had had enough. He launched himself at his attacker, picked him up and threw him to the ground.

The younger boy staggered away, stunned and hurt.

Both students were suspended for four days after the incident on Monday.

Footage of the fight at Chifley College, Dunheved Campus at North St Marys, was posted online and drew hundreds of comments on Facebook - mostly in support of Casey.

Casey's father said yesterday his son had been the victim of bullying for several years and feared for his safety if he spoke about the fight.

"There'll be reprisals from other kids in the school and he still has to go to school somewhere," he said.

"He's not a violent kid, it's the first time he's lashed out and I don't want him to be victimised over that.

"He's always been taught never to hit. Apparently other people's parents don't teach their kids that."

Students said violence was a daily occurrence with fights often filmed and posted online.

"The fights I have seen here, it's horrible. It really makes me feel unsafe," one said. A classmate added: "People pick on him every single day, they hit him around and stuff, and he just got sick of it and let out the anger."

Online sympathisers have started a "Casey Heynes Anti Bullying Day".

A NSW Department of Education and Training spokeswoman said the school "does not tolerate any violence and deals with all cases according to its community-agreed discipline code".

"Both students in a fight at the school shown on the internet have been suspended ... the only injury sustained was a grazed knee."
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:39 am
Like I said...sometimes you have to defend yourself, even if you get in trouble. I would hope my daughter would do the same. Bet that boy doesn't get bullied any more. Good for him.

And when the school tried to suspend her, I'd be right there asking where they hell they were protecting MY kid from the other kid all the time she got hit previously.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:39 am
@Ticomaya,
That wouldn't win any style points in a judo contest but it was more than good enough for government work or public schools.

What you see there is the bigger kid being bullied and it isn't that uncommon. Bigger kids often take longer to get fully coordinated and the smaller ones pick up on that. The smaller kid thought the victim was too slow to defend himself and needed to know how to box AND wrestle if he was going to let himself get tied up like that; lack of planning...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkt-LdNk7o[/youtube]

That's how you handle a bully and I bet that little pest thinks long and hard before he bullies another kid again.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:22 am
@Green Witch,
How do we deal with those children who, for some reason or another, haven't been, and won't be, taught empathy by their parents, and who are bullying other children?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:38 am
@InfraBlue,
Those kids go work for government unions
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:46 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Those kids go work for government unions

Sure, but how do we deal with them in the meantime, while they're bullying?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:01 am
@InfraBlue,
You can start by encouraging the victim to fight back,
defend themselves and stop rewarding bad behavior.
0 Replies

Anarkatheist

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:27 am
You all have these silly Collective Solutions, its not about the parenting, plenty of people with horrible parents are not bullies, i know a lot of them. In a similar sense are we going to stop murder but teaching them that its a bad thing? Of course not, they know its bad, that's not the problem. The solution to such a thing in a free market would be private security and unemployment for such people. No one would like to hire someone who is a know or thought to be a killer.

To elaborate a little more on my previous post, if bullying was a serious problem at a private school, they would hire staff to patrol around to look out for, well violence. They would hear every side of what happen because otherwise they would have a bad reputation for expelling the good students Their only goal is to better the conditions of their school for self-interest, just like any industry, and expelling victims wont make anything better, it will only make things worse, as for parents looking for a decent school wouldn't enroll there because of their policy/reputation, and they would loose money.
As for the parents of bullies would teach their kids to behave because its costly to keep getting kicked out of schools, so for the parents sake, kids would behave.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:24 pm
@Anarkatheist,
Bulling is not about parenting? Bullshit it ain't. If you got caught bullying 50 years ago, you got your ass whooped. And it was by the teacher first and your parents after school.

My daughter knows that if she gets caught bullying (which she did), she is in big trouble. And guess what? She hasn't done it since.

Are there good kids with bad parents? Sure. And bad kids with good parents. But the majority of the problem is the spoiled, entitled brats this country is raising. The do it because they CAN and they get away with it.

Stop allowing them to get away with it and the problem goes away.

Course, in real life it's not as simple as that but the point is that everything, ever lesson, every ounce of social grace, should begin at home. Period.
Anarkatheist

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:27 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yes every bully has really bad parents, no doubt about that. But with our collectivist state of mind, solutions are impossible because you have to rely on a bunch of slobs to cooperate for the collective. How about we all worry about ourselves, because in reality you don't have to deal with douche bags. Unlike the compulsory educational system we have today where we force every kid to go to a certain school, whether or not they want to, and these schools suck. So now we have a bunch of unhappy children attending some school with thousands of other students who don't want to be there. They only have one choice for school, no preference is given. Like every other monopoly the service is going to suck.

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:42 pm
No, I hate it. Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:44 pm
@Anarkatheist,
Anarkatheist wrote:
Yes every bully has really bad parents, no doubt about that.
What proof is there of that ????
Anarkatheist

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
By definition, good parenting makes good children...

Good parents obviously do not make Bullies, that would make them bad parents...
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:25 pm
@Anarkatheist,
Quote:
By definition, good parenting makes good children.
You must be either unformed (young) or an idiot....good parenting improves the odds of creating well behaved teens and good adults, there are no guaranties....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:25 pm
@Anarkatheist,
Anarkatheist wrote:
By definition, good parenting makes good children...

Good parents obviously do not make Bullies, that would make them bad parents...
Tautological, circular reasoning is of no value.