Are you against Christian Sharia Law?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 05:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think Americans are babies about this sort of thing.

Street preachers, politicians, the whole lot of them - if they get pies thrown at them, their microphone threatened Rolling Eyes, eggs tossed at them - tough, they should expect it and deal with it.
failures art

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 05:43 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Assault is when she grabbed his microphone. Idiot.

I can tell you how this conversation goes. You will get totally schooled and humiliated. Here's how it will play out:

1- you've already used a legally defined term (assault) incorrectly.
2- next, someone will post the legal definition.
3- you'll get defensive and backtrack. Possibly you'll amend yourself to something like "vandalism" or "destruction of property" in which case you've traded a quick death for a long one.
4- extra legal definitions will be provided for all the other terms you end up misusing.
5- you'll get more defensive and suggest ethical standards for application.
6- examples will be made to challenge your standard
7- you implode

I highly suggest you simply save yourself the embarrassment. Stick to what you know: cut and paste post from the "American Thinker."

A
R
T
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:01 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Isn't it assault when you call me names?

Or does that just mean "you lose".

I forget which one it is for you this week.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
The speaker was within his rights. When she grabbed his microphone she committed assault. I think he showed restraint and that is commendable. He certainly showed more class than those who didn't like his message. They remind me of the people in the bible who mocked the prophets of God and then were destroyed by some catastrophe. They are clearly fools.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Discussing ideas in the public square is an American tradition. You should have seen America when women demanded the vote and the temperance union demanded banning alcohol. We didn't have radio, TV or the internet.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:10 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

FA is all about "intent".

Aside from nothing, what does this mean?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

The reason we have freedom of speech is because of people like FA.

You're correct. Because of my job, I protect the free speech both you and I enjoy. I also advocate for all people to have free speech rights.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

They're fine with freedom of speech as long as they agree with it. That's not why it was written.

Not true. I very much believe in unpopular speech being protected. The man certainly has a right to speak in public. Where have I said he does not?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

It was written so people like FA and other lefties on this site cannot stop speech they don't agree with. Otherwise, we all know they would because they keep trying.

What specifically have I done to try and stop or prevent free speech? Your crusade against Muslims seems to forget their rights to free speech, assembly, religion, and equal process under the law.

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:21 pm
@failures art,
It means intent is all that matters. You can't discuss the facts. None of you can. All religions are equal according to you. You want us to believe terrorism from Christians is equal to the terrorism from muslims and that's not even close to the truth.
raprap

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:30 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
It means intent is all that matters. You can't discuss the facts. None of you can. All religions are equal according to you.

Ah! You admit to being a bigot. So that is finally settled.

Rap
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't see how you can draw a reasoned conclusion on his motivation for being there.

Really? This was a pride rally. It didn't happen spontaneously. The guy didn't just stumble upon that location on the same day. He came with specific intent to disrupt.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As far as we know, he could have gone there with love in his heart and the intention of trying to save what he believed to be endangered souls.

I'm sure many people feel this way Finn. The thing is that if you want to talk with people, you don't do it through a megaphone. He wasn't there to listen to their concerns, only to overwhelm the area with great volume.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Personally, I don't believe this, but that's due more to my innate cynicism than anything he says on the video. If you set aside the use of a loudspeaker to project his voice, he certainly wasn't acting in a way that I would consider rude...unlike the red headed simpleton and the couple of other people who respond with curses.

If you don't believe this, don't waste my time. I don't care to defend the red headed women either. She called him a "retard" and I think that was ignorant. Can we agree to skip the tu quoque part of the discussion?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

In any case, as you well know, whether he was being rude, or his motivation involved hatred for anyone is legally immaterial.

Redundantly established, Finn. Why even discuss this red herring. Not a single person has claimed he broke a law.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not surprised that some in the crowd respond with antagonism to his street preaching, nor do I have a real problem with them doing so in a crude manner. Whether from love or hate, he is condemning their life-styles and there is no reason why he should not expect some sort of confrontation. I don't get the impression that he is really alarmed or offended by the response he received. He certainly didn't look to the police for intervention when his mike was being grabbed. So, he's not complaining.

Yes, but common sense and the law disagree here. While it's certainly intuitive that provoking people will get a response, that response is not excused. The woman in red doesn't get a free pass on the bigotry of the man.

Certainly this is how Fred Phelps makes some money. It's a sad irony that people who hate him end up funding him by letting themselves fold to his message. They lash out and he gets paid.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Unless one subscribes to an absolute "live and let live" ethos there is bound to be some conduct, or expression of opinion that one would condemn. Whether one has the brass to do the condemnation in public and before a crowd of the people being condemned is another story.

Brass? I'm sorry. No. Let's avoid the absurd notion that this man is acting on some sort of one against many act of bravery.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Condemning members of the KKK is something I'm sure would be widely shared in, and those who did so while face to face with the Klansmen would probably be considered somewhat heroic by many of us. I would even venture to say that those condemning them would be expressing hatred for the Klan and it's members.

Let's be clear about your analogy. Who is the Klansman? Are you saying it's heroic to stand up to a bunch of clansmen as an analogy to this man shouting at a pride event?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

We don't hear many voices decrying condemnation of the KKK as "hate speech." I've seen some of that condemnation in person and I can assure you that (if facial expressions, tone of voice, and choice of words means anything) many voicing it were feeling real hatred.

I'm sure you are correct that many people feel real hatred towards the KKK. Condemning their words and actions, is not hate speech. You're employing some ridiculous notion of immunity; that one can only label something hate speech if they feel no such emotion at someone else's pointed hate speech. Let's avoid the tu quoque?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Most of us are OK with this because we feel either that the KKK deserves hatred or that those who hate them are expressing righteous outrage.

I'm okay with people confronting them intellectually; not physically.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Assuming the street preacher is expressing hatred, I wonder if you believe his thinking and motivation is drastically different from those who protest a KKK gathering?

Yes, I do. The people at the Pride festival are meeting not to hate others, but to find support in a community. Comparing KKK rally to this is stupid. Moreover, you don't even believe such a thing either.

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:33 pm
@failures art,
Now we're getting somewhere. So speech you don't like is to "disrupt". Perhaps you'd like to stop this young man from exercising his constitutional rights because of "hate speech". Would that be right?
parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:56 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Oh my God, please stop, you're scaring the children.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:13 pm
Are you slow, Renaldo? FA repeatedly says the guy has a right to speak. Perhaps you need new glasses.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'm speaking of intent. FA clearly stated that the Christian speaker came there to disrupt. That has no bearing on the law or rights. He can't prove that. Speech that disrupts is allowed in the USA. Just because some moron with dyed red hair wants to act like a fool doesn't mean the speaker is disrupting anything.

Do you understand what I just said? If not, I'll try again.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
Reread your reply to him, Renaldo. He doesn't want to stop him despite whatever his intent was. I think he thinks the guy is an asshole. I think the guy is an asshole. But he has a right to speak anyway. Everything he says reinforces my opinion of him. Same as everything you say reinforces my opinion of you.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Read his post again. He stated the guy came there to disrupt. That has no bearing. The girl was disrupting him. You're biased.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:29 pm
Ah, but intent has no bearing. She was replying to him, as was her right. He was in fact, irresepective of intent, disrupting things with his loudspeakers.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:31 pm
This is what you said, Renaldo:
Quote:
Perhaps you'd like to stop this young man from exercising his constitutional rights because of "hate speech".

You are WRONG.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
He was breaking no law. He obviously had a permit to be there. Why can't you just admit you don't like his speech. You're biased and it shows.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:34 pm
What part of "I think he's an asshole too" would lead you to think I like his speech? I think he's a fool, but he has a right to be a fool in public, same as you do.
You do not in general need a permit to speak in public. I would say the odds are no more than 50-50 that he did, but that makes no difference. Why do you think it does?
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
The fact that you think he's an asshole means nothing. He was breaking no law and he was not "disrupting". He was 100% legal.

He's an asshole because you don't like what he says. Would that be considered "hate speech" on your part?