what is the differentes between "crouch"and"squat"?

yzy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 02:23 am
I don't know the light difference of the two words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 7,027 • Replies: 5
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 02:35 am
pretty much the same, squat might be a tad deeper, i.e. farther down, and not quite as ready to move, but any difference of connotation is really slight (and it's "difference between" not "differentes")
aidan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 02:42 am
@MontereyJack,
I agree with MontereyJack in terms of the action, but in terms of usage, you will often see the word 'squat' used in the context of exercise, as a 'squat' is a specific move but you will not see 'crouch' used in that context.

Someone might say, 'Do ten squats' which means to bend your knees and lower your bottom toward the floor.
They won't say though, 'Do ten crouches' even though it's basically the same movement and would work the same muscles.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 04:01 am
@yzy,
If you squat, your knees are deeply bent and your back is more or less vertical. Whey you crouch, you flex the knees and bend forward at the waist.
aidan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 04:11 am
@roger,
That's true too.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 06:18 am
@yzy,
A squat in the general sense is to sit on one haunches, as you can see pictures of all primitive peoples doing, having been born without thronos, chairs... Keep your feet on the floor and and your butt about three inches off the floor and you are squatted... Girls squat to pee, and republicans squat to think, as their version of thought appears...

A crouch is bent over, holding the body as close to the ground as possible without inhibiting the ability to walk or run... People under fire often run crouched.
0 Replies