Obnixous but Nice

jodie34

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:47 pm
Someone was described to me as being obnixous but nice? What is your take on this ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,120 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jodie34

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
I am sorry it should have been obnoxious.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:33 pm
@jodie34,
I think nice is a way overused word, and basically meaningless.

Since you were already called obnoxious, I would have asked them what the **** they meant by that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
@jodie34,
I bet it's a challenge to be both at once.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:51 pm
@roger,
What the **** do you mean by that roger?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:53 pm
@chai2,
snort..

one other possible meaning is that someone is quite rude and crude in behavior but underneath has a heart of gold.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:59 pm
@ossobuco,
On the other hand, there's my last boss. Paid well, great with bonuses, and did all kinds of unnecessary things for other people, especially those who worked for him. Still, he had a way of making everyone feeling like crap. Even he couldn't pass for "obnoxious but nice". He could have qualified as obnoxious with a fully checked "good guy check list".
roger

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
@chai2,
Wassamatta, chai. Did you think I called you 'nice', or something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:44 pm
@roger,
Yeh. I left med lab work in near desperation from a boss (who liked me and asked me to manage and I said no) who was a good man (and so on) but raged at employees other than a few of us. Well, very few, me and some of the bright folk who worked after their classes checking in specimens. (The two I'm thinking of, one later got a phD at cal tech and another, an emigre from africa, worked his way up in the lab world.) The rest of the place got stings off and on. Rages, followed by pats on backs a while later.

Now I can see this as behavior a psychologist/psychiatrist might be interested in, but then it was tough to be around, especially in a place without windows.

(Ah, I'd be well off now if I had stayed and managed. But I'm almost by definition the exact wrong person to manage personnel past a small group.)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:13 pm
A person can't be obnoxious and nice at the same time. Not even obnoxous but nice . . .
try:
obnoxious but talented
obnoxious but hard working
obnoxious but competant
0 Replies

aze1526

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
That description seems to cancel itself out...hmm.

Maybe they meant you can be loud and show a lack of propriety at times, but you are amiable and have good intentions in your actions?

Maybe uncouth in manners but loyal to your friends?

Ask them to be more specific so you get a good idea where they are coming from. Accepting criticism is one way of improving ourselves and growing. There is a limitless amount of things she could have implied by saying that.
0 Replies