How would you make a comic book series about streetfighting cats and dogs more interesting?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:20 am
@MontereyJack,
In my comic, the cat and dog characters are on par with one another, for the most part. I'll have some cats that are more powerful than some dogs and vice versa. And the cats and dogs work together. My main hero is a cat and his sidekick is a dog.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:28 am
@MontereyJack,
My characters are animals that act like people.

I only mentioned herbs because cats have catnip, dogs have anise and bunnies have some mints that are the rabbit equal of that.

I don't know if I want to fetaure rabbits.

Since they are humanized I am thinking in these terms-what would they be doing that would be of interest to a humanoid cat or dog (or rabbit)?

They live in cat-and-dog populated towns and cities.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:30 am
@MontereyJack,
Cats are smarter than dogs. If we were doing military/spy/radical groups cats would be the independents/freethinkers and dogs would be the loyalists.

It would make sense that in my comic the main cat hero is in charge and the dog is his sidekick.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:16 pm
In this cartoon the humanoid cats and dogs will keep non-humonoid cats and dgos as pets, among other animals.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
You are entitled to your views. Please keep in mind I'm writing a KIDS/FAMILY comic book.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm
streetfighting cats and dogs and family comics would seem to be incompatible.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:54 pm
@MontereyJack,
Really? Ninja Turtles was popular with children and teens.

The only thing bad about it was the use of witchcraft.

There's no element of witchcraft in my comics.

Catillac Cats were about a gang of cats.

Danger Mouse, Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse, Danger Mouse, Darkwing Duck are all funny-animal action shows considered kids/family entertainment.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
It's basically about cat and dog street gangs.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 03:18 pm
What I am thinking about is, if I'm creating a comic book universe populated with humanoid cats and dogs, what would they be doing that would be of interest to a humanoid cat and humanoid dog?

Cats and dogs are territorial creatures, so logically, it be befitting to have a bunch of cat and a dog street gangs.

Cats like catnip and dogs like anise so maybe they'd be into smuggling them.

These are some of my possible plot ideas:

Cats and dogs like meat and fish. So maybe there'd be some criminals trying to use deviant means to corner the meat and fish market-the heroes go and fight them.

The heroes get a watchdog and robot guardian to help them-the villains copy their idea.

The heroes work on strengthening their defenses and search for things to help them strengthen their defenses. In the similar manner the bad guys do the same and/or follow suit. Both parties inadvenrtantly find out with each other is doing.

The heroes experiment with being superheroes and the bad guys experiment with being supervillians.

There's a discovery of some rare and/or unique elements- the heroes sample some and look for practical uses for them. The bad guys want to get their hands on the minerals. The military steps in and comes to town to watch over the mineral reserves.

They heroes meet up with some musicians (rock and rap artists) and go to battle with corrupt rappers and rockers who want to use music to brainwash people with.

The heroes go out West and meet up with cowboys who are fighting cowboys who discovered some unique power source.

The heroes fight some baddies who are involved in some plot involving some internet marketing scheme and time travel.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 03:20 pm
Does anyone else have any good suggestions for ideas? When I have more ideas I'll post them.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:14 pm
Maybe the heroes can meet the foreign heroes in a fighting tournament.
The heroes could decide to go on vacation and meet up with other gangs to help them and to make allies with them.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 09:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What I am thinking about is, if I'm creating a comic book universe populated with humanoid cats and dogs, what would they be doing that would be of interest to a humanoid cat and humanoid dog?

Just use things that you and your friends like to do, but with a spin. Instead of a barber shop you have groomers, having fleas or worms would be embarrassing like having lice or an std for people.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Cats and dogs are territorial creatures, so logically, it be befitting to have a bunch of cat and a dog street gangs.

They are both territorial but cats do not travel in packs like dogs. They are very solitary so maybe instead of a gang they can be assassins-ninja-samurai type characters while the dogs have gangs. The cats could team up temporarily to help or harm the dogs.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Cats like catnip and dogs like anise so maybe they'd be into smuggling them.

I think this is a good idea. Cinnamon is deadly to cats and chocolate is deadly to dogs, so maybe you can have the bad guys use that as well.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Cats and dogs like meat and fish. So maybe there'd be some criminals trying to use deviant means to corner the meat and fish market-the heroes go and fight them..

More of a long term conflict with 'the mob' rather than an exciting, action issue.

JGoldman10 wrote:

The heroes work on strengthening their defenses and search for things to help them strengthen their defenses. In the similar manner the bad guys do the same and/or follow suit. Both parties inadvenrtantly find out with each other is doing..

This should be a given through out the series.

JGoldman10 wrote:

The heroes experiment with being superheroes and the bad guys experiment with being supervillians.

I'm not sure what you want the difference to be between super hero and plain hero. Are we talking powers beyond the everyday agility and power of the character?

JGoldman10 wrote:

They heroes meet up with some musicians (rock and rap artists) and go to battle with corrupt rappers and rockers who want to use music to brainwash people with.

It could work, I'd have to hear more about it.

JGoldman10 wrote:

The heroes go out West and meet up with cowboys who are fighting cowboys who discovered some unique power source.

Ditto. Need more info. Are the cats and dogs cowboys or are you going to have humanoid horses? What would they be raising on the ranches?

JGoldman10 wrote:

The heroes fight some baddies who are involved in some plot involving some internet marketing scheme and time travel.

The internet scheme is going to be hard to portray excitingly in comic form. Time travel gets messy and confusing real fast. If you decide to go that route make sure you have the plot staged carefully.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:31 am
@Aldistar,
Hi-thank you for responding.

It's a work of fiction-so it doesn't have to be entirely true to EVERY aspect of real-life of cat and dog behaviour and cat and dog attribute/element. They ARE humanized characters.

It came to me I could have something like a crazed scientist/inventor posing as a fashion accessory designer/manufacturer selling "obedience collars" to people by passing them off as designer collars.

That is something cat- and dog- related.

This villain could activate the collars and use people to rob banks and do his evil bidding.

Cats and dogs like to groom themselves, so maybe barber shops, and fur shops and fur care products would be big business. Maybe you could have corrupt businesspeople running these operations and they use deviant means to get rid of competition or use goons to coerce people to use ther products.

Cats and dogs like meat and fish-so maybe you got bad guys trying to corner these markets , like I said earlier.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:34 am
@Aldistar,
There are cat- and dog- cowboys out West. Most of the "people" in this universe are cats and dogs. I'm trying to think what would the cat- and dog- cowboys be doing that would be of interest to them.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:39 am
@Aldistar,
The heroes and villains are streetfighters. The heroes aren't superheroes- they are "regular" "people" who took it upon themselves to fight crime and corruption. The types of heroes who fight criminals and make "citizens arrests" and get their pictures put in the local newspapers for doing something heroic.

The villains aren't supervillains either. They are criminals and troublemakers out there to pursue their own evil ambitions and people hear about them.
They fight the heroes or try to do them in.

The heroes become superheroes become superheroes when they are faced and confronted with things that are too powerful and dangerous for them to handle in their own natural strengths. They can meet up with other cat and dog superheroes.

The villains decide to become supervillains in a similiar manner. Or they decide to go beyond normal means and powers to do crime and evil.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:46 am
@Aldistar,
When the heroes meet up with cat- and dog- cowbuy gangs, and the bad guys follow suit, what could they be doing that would be on interest to them? What could they be doing that's cowboy- or West-related?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:25 pm
@Aldistar,
Having the military (army and navy, etc.) come to town to help guard the mineral reserves discovered there would be a good way have the heroes meet military types.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
I remember Danger Mouse being around but I don't think I ever watched it.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:07 pm
@Aldistar,
Danger Mouse was on in the '80s and early '90s.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 09:36 pm
@Aldistar,
Hunting and fishing would be big business. This would give the heroes an opportunity to meet sailors and other nautical types, and maybe other military types. They could meet up with air jockeys.

Maybe when the heroes go to he West they meet up with ranchers and outlaws trying to wrangle their cattle, but the plot would have to be more contrived than that. Or there could be criminal cowboy gangs looking for treasure, or stealing money for some dastardly purpose. Or they could meet up with miners.
0 Replies