Are Canadian police going the way of the U. S?

Diane

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 11:08 am
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/1053.html

I have forgotten how to lind straight to the video

This is terribly depressing. Why do things like this keep happening?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,317 • Replies: 4
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 11:10 am
Quote:
Are Canadian police going the way of the U. S?
In case thay do,
we have our guns ready.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 02:51 pm
I don't think that bad cops are unique to the US. The people in Egypt hated the police there because of the same type of antics. Police are generally A type personalities that in some cases become dehumanized by the worst in people, the people that they see far more than the rest of us. I'm not making excuses, believe me, I find this type of thing very disturbing. I've seen plenty of other example of bad cops in Canada and elsewhere. There should be a better way of routing out the bad apples, but it's very much a 'boys club' or and exclusive group of people that tend to ignore their own flaws and perpetuate their right to squash honest questions when it comes to their own behavior.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:41 pm
LOL, David. I hope you are at the front of the line.

Ceili, you might already have heard of the Stanford Experiment, but here is a link plus a copy and paste of the first couple of paragraphs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

The Stanford prison experiment was a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted from Aug. 14 - 20, 1971 by a team of researchers led by Psychology professor Philip Zimbardo at Stanford University. Twenty-four students were selected out of 75 to play the prisoners and live in a mock prison in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. Roles were assigned randomly. The participants adapted to their roles well beyond what even Zimbardo himself expected, leading the "Officers" to display authoritarian measures and ultimately to subject some of the prisoners to torture. In turn, many of the prisoners developed passive attitudes and accepted physical abuse, and, at the request of the guards, readily inflicted punishment on other prisoners who attempted to stop it. The experiment even affected Zimbardo himself, who, in his capacity as "Prison Superintendent," lost sight of his role as psychologist and permitted the abuse to continue as though it were a real prison. Five of the prisoners were upset enough by the process to quit the experiment early, and the entire experiment was abruptly stopped after only six days. The experimental process and the results remain controversial. The entire experiment was filmed, with excerpts soon made publicly available.

This goes straight to your idea that the police mentality is contagious, as is mob mentality.
roger

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
@Diane,
I think I read that one. There are certainly other causes of that police mentality.
0 Replies