enlarge vocabularies

sulin

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:45 am
Would you please tell me how to enlarge my vocabularies?Should I learn the words alone or by reading some essaies?I mean that when I come across a new world in the passage ,I look it up in the dictionary and remember them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 571 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:49 am
@sulin,
To me the best way to enlarge your working vocabulary is to read a lot. You see words in context and that helps you remember them.
JTT

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:05 pm
@sulin,
What if, after reading a word and looking it up in the dictionary, you could see all the other words with similar meanings? What if you could find out instantly which words are formal and which are used in everyday speech? What if you could find out which ones are BrE and which NaE?

There is such a "dictionary", Sulin, but it's called an Activator. It focuses on the words/the idioms that are the hardest to understand for EFLs and the real neat part of this is that it puts them under one simple keyword. Within that keyword there could be 15 or 20 subheadings that describe nuances for those words

Here's a link to the book,

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=longman+language+activator&x=0&y=0

You can probably find a copy of this book in a public library.

sulin

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@JTT,
Thank you so much!
0 Replies

sulin

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:32 pm
@engineer,
Thank you!
0 Replies