as a english learner ,how to remember new words

liuce

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 02:36 am
i think that remembering the words is very hard for me ,can you tell me your own way to remember the words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 384 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:06 am
Think of an imaginary friend. Hold an imaginary converstation with them, making up as many different sentences as you can think of that feature the word you want to remember, while at the same time you think of the object/action the word describes--of course that's pretty much the same thing you do when you talk to an actual person, except the person isn't really there. Picture to yourself the different kinds of situations that word could arise, when you're making up conversation. Say your sentences out loud, so you connect them with the spoken word, not just mental images--I think the actually speaking is important. It might help if you very prominently wear a Bluetooth headset, so people don't think you're crazy but are really talking on your cellphone.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:12 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Think of an imaginary friend. Hold an imaginary converstation with them, making up as many different sentences as you can think of that feature the word you want to remember, while at the same time you think of the object/action the word describes--of course that's pretty much the same thing you do when you talk to an actual person, except the person isn't really there. Picture to yourself the different kinds of situations that word could arise, when you're making up conversation. Say your sentences out loud, so you connect them with the spoken word, not just mental images--I think the actually speaking is important. It might help if you very prominently wear a Bluetooth headset, so people don't think you're crazy but are really talking on your cellphone.
That 's good advice.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:39 am
thank you, David.
liuce

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 03:03 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you very much.
0 Replies