When do you think I should start teaching my kids about saving money?

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:21 pm
Hello Everyone
So some of my family and friends think that I am taking it a little far, but I make my kids put a certain amount of their allowance in the bank every week. I have twins that are 8 years old.. Do you guys think that I am taking this too far or is 8 old enough for them to start learning about saving, financial responsibilities, etc??
Thanks in advance

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:26 pm
@Erica411,
I have a question for you.

These family and friends, are they all financially solvent, or do they have debt?

I doubt anyone has ever said upon their (maybe early) retirement "Gee I wish I hadn't saved all this money."
JPB

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:31 pm
@Erica411,
Do you try to control how they spend the rest of their allowance? Are the savings intended for some specific purpose down the road? I think it's great to save at an early age but I think they should realize that the money is theirs and that the rest of it can be used on whatever they want.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 03:20 pm
Eight year olds should get a small allowance - but they should know it's for contributing to household chores and the household well-being.

In addition to that, offer EXTRA jobs where they can earn money.

They should have a small amount to do whatever, save some and give something to the needed, too.

Help them establish a bank account. Set saving goals for them to reach. Show them that earning money to buy extra things is fun and productive.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:56 pm
At some point your kids will want to spend the money on something that is (in your eyes) frivelous. In order for a savings habit to be generated you will need to allow that to happen.
A slightly better plan may be to encorage your kids to identify something they want but cant afford, then use that as an incentive to encorage them to save.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
I think it's never too early to start teaching kids about saving money.

We set up a savings account at the bank with our son when he was about that age. We told him to save at least half of his allowance, and for every $50 he deposited in the bank, we'd add $20 more. If he withdrew any, there would be no more contributions from us until he deposited that much back into the account and added another $50.

He decided to save practically all of his allowance, birthday and Christmas money. By the time he was 12, he had more than $1000 in his account, and he was able to invest it. He loved the idea of earning interest...getting more money just for not spending it!...and enjoyed watching his balance grow every month.
0 Replies

Proxima

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:49 pm
@Erica411,
I think learning how to save is important. One day they will want something that they will lose interest in almost immediately and they will need to understand that saving is in the long term, much better than spending. Sends a good message about long-term thinking to.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:28 pm
@Erica411,
some people save some invest in life style

8 is good but learning does not mean obliging someone to save

get them to the atm so they can realise that the machine has more personality than the teller

drag them to the teller so the teller can tell them what they want to know

set up the associated internet accounts with the missing millions invested in the money market

get them buying and investing on line and spending

and let them have fun

did i tell you i retired at 45 and still have my play lunch money
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 09:05 pm
@Erica411,
As soon as they can count. However, it also matters how you spend money; they watch their parent in how they purchase things; impulse buying should be minimized.

I gave my kids a weekly allowance. I also told them that the usual rule of thumb is that the higher cost the item, the better quality - but not always.

Our older son buys the best; he has Armani suits, I never owned an Armani suit. Our younger son has a problem with money; it burns a hole in his pocket. They treat and handle money differently.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 03:04 pm
When they are in middle school.
0 Replies

DadSpinLA

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:21 pm
@laughoutlood,
You're funny. Maybe joking, can't tell. But I think you're not off base.
0 Replies

znljubica

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:40 am
@chai2,
Start now, please. It is very important.
znljubica

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:49 am
@znljubica,
An example. The daughter was 8, and son was 10 years old. They wanted a new bike. I suggested that if they savid 1/3 of needed money, and I will pay the rest. They saved more than that.
I acted in other similar situations as this.
Now they are adults and are very responsible with money.
0 Replies