either or or neither nor

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:13 pm
So.. I think technically speaking the argument could be made for either one..but I'm dying to know the answer from a true english geek.

"A life-less loser with 1 million dollars ceases to be either" - I think this is correct

or
"A life-less loser with 1 million dollars ceases to be neither" - Actually I think the case could be made for either. But would love a professional opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,522 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:30 pm
@howyalikemenow,
I think they are both correct. If you use either/or....or....neither/nor in the same sentence it is correct as either/or and neither/nor. You wouldn't use either/nor or neither/or.
howyalikemenow

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
but my thought was that "ceases" is a negative word.. so "ceases to be neither" sounds almost like a double negative.. am I way off?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:54 pm
@howyalikemenow,
I don't think it would be considered a double negative. I don't know nothing is a double negative.
0 Replies

PaddyH

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 08:05 pm
@howyalikemenow,
If, as you believe 'ceases' is a negative,so too is neither (or not either).That means that it is as you say,a double negative, and makes the first example the correct one.
0 Replies